6-Blade Tropical Fan on eBay

If I buy this item, will the weather become Tropical Andrew?, if so its a bargain!

That one looks pretty good, Andrew. Pricey, though -- if one hunts one can find them for a lot less, although not as nice. Most of the ones I've found have noticeable corrosion on the blades, and cracked and/orbroken blades in many cases. The tropical fan blade on my car was much worse -- a machinist friend made new blades and rivets to restore it.

These won't fix every problem, and in fact probably aren't as good as a modern electric fan. But they are 100% mechanical and correct for the time when our cars were made.

Edited by Don H.

At this price an item that's worth reproducing! Something for the Spares Fund to pick up?

Menno

I asked the chairman of the SDF about that exact equestion a few years ago, Menno, through pm on this forum. I didn't get an FU in return, so I guess the answer is probably "no".

I asked the chairman of the SDF about that exact equestion a few years ago, Menno, through pm on this forum. I didn't get an FU in return, so I guess the answer is probably "no".

Hmm nothing new there then.

Stuart.

Don

Maybe correct for our era but still not original equipment, so if you are to make the change then go for a Kenlowe suction fan especially if you have the narrow belt conversion.

Yesterday, here at my home in Spain it was 41ºC, today it is cooler at 36ºC, with tomorrow forecasted at 39ºC but even with the Kenlowe I found the duct behind the grill to be far more effective on my 3A without any fan on in normal conditions up to about 30ºC but over that then I switch it on, especially in towns, as we don´t suffer traffic jams yet, but shush don´t tell anyone, we like it that way. Next month it will be different here at the coast as in August all Spain goes on holiday to join the Poms and the Continentals.

Dave

Well since we're 'under new management' things might have changed...

Since this holiday, I know how 40+ feels. The mercury in Tuscany hit 43 last week. With an unexpected 53 on a parking lkt in front of a Coop superstore. Sadly the automatic gearbox of the Volvo couldn't cope with that temperature... Conclusion is, that it is no shame when a 50 y/o car can't handle this sort of temps.

..Maybe correct for our era but still not original equipment, so if you are to make the change then go for a Kenlowe suction fan especially if you have the narrow belt conversion...

That's one way to look at it, Dave. If I'm not going to be original -- or at least period correct -- I'm going to go all the way and drive my Lexus. Isn't it interesting how we all find different ways to enjoy TR ownership? :)

Since this holiday, I know how 40+ feels. The mercury in Tuscany hit 43 last week. With an unexpected 53 on a parking lkt in front of a Coop superstore. Sadly the automatic gearbox of the Volvo couldn't cope with that temperature... Conclusion is, that it is no shame when a 50 y/o car can't handle this sort of temps.

That's warm fershure. We're only 35°C here in mid-America today. Pretty normal for us.

That Volvo sounds like a piece of ****, frankly. What kind of modern car has major systems **** out at 40+°C? Crazy...

Pretty nice example. It looks period even if it does post date most if not all side curtain cars and would have been a welcome addition to most any of them had it been available. I had one on the 3A after it went into driver mode (auto trans sorta forced that issue) and it did help. Engine never heated much but the trans did - blew up before I put a cooler on it.

JW

Edited by jdwtrxk

"At this price an item that's worth reproducing! Something for the Spares Fund to pick up?"

IMHO there are better things for the spares fund to concentrate on. New 4 1/2 J steel wheels for one.

...New 4 1/2 J steel wheels for one.

Ya shoulda talked to me a few years ago -- I gave away eight pretty decent/excellent ones when my car came back on the road with wire wheels! I wouldn't have raced 'em, but for driving around they'd have been fine.

Don

Maybe correct for our era but still not original equipment, so if you are to make the change then go for a Kenlowe suction fan especially if you have the narrow belt conversion.

Dave

Is it better to suck or blow?

(asking for a friend)

There weren't many 4.5J TR steel wheels ever made . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

I thought my TR3B disk wheel were 4½-inch, J-bead? I must have that wrong -- set us right, Alec.

Is it better to suck or blow?

(asking for a friend)

Austin

I think suction is better for clear air flow through the core. Also it is easier to remove flies etc. from the core, than from the blades and body of the fan itself.

I have the suction type which IMHO looks neater than the one on the front of the radiator anyway.

Dave

Menno

My thermometer hangs up under the roof of the garage patio not in the full sun, I would hate to think what it would get up to stuck out in the direct sun.

Years ago in Botswana the temperature during the day out on the pan got to 54ºC regularly, so you couldn´t work too long out in it without feeling and getting knackered pretty quick. Unfortunately they do not get the late light nights like we do here so there wasn´t the opportunity to work at say 7p.m onwards when it would have been cooler, arc lights were used though for evening work if the days were too short to work in.

Dave