Is anyone else getting a tad peeved with the number of new pattern parts turning up with Metric threads?

I can understand track rod ends perhaps with Metric nuts, but I just tried to fit some engine mounts and not only were these fitted with oversize studs (M10 not 3/8) but they were fitted with different size nuts (16 & 17mm a/f) and to add insult, were not parallel. Clearly they will go back.

I'm just going to have to remember to ask "is it fitted with Metric threads" every time I purchase anything.

I can see why, when you see the price of UNF against Metric, but it's getting pretty annoying especially when faced with trying to find the right nut to fit a stud when it could be any of three thread pitches in some cases (1.00 / 1.25 / 1.5) for the same o/d.

Right, now I've got that off my chest, where to get some proper TR5/6 engine mounts?

Jerry

Worst one I`ve had lately was master cylinder/slave clevis forks with metric threads. Smart lad wanted!

Stuart.

A friend who collected vintage parts was delighted to find an affordable Flying Lady radiator mascot. She had pride of place in his museum. Until he decided to mount it using the thread at its base. Yes...metric thread.

Peter

Arrg… on my side based in France, I am hunting to withdraw any metrics threads on my Triumph TR6 & Stag :-) and … they may come back through UK suppliers... :_(

Regards

I have found one use for metric threads, 3/16" or 2BA threads are used in a number of places eg fixing boot budget locks, spare wheel cover locks etc.

when these wear out, a usefull fix is to run an M5 tap through (same TPI near as damm it) & then use Stainless metric screws. Similar for the even smaller threads used to fasten the escutchions to these locks, these seem to be 4BA, & can be tapped M4 (again very close tpi). Of course I would always use the correct imperial thread if possible, but needs must sometimes !

Bob.

Hi Metric Nuts

What is the thread on the holding down screws at the back of the Speedo and Rev. Counter? It´s not 2BA which is too small and No.12 UNF it ain´t and Bob,it ain´t M5 either.

Dave

It may well be ME (Model engineers) or BSC (British Standard Cycle)

Stuart.

It comes out as 34 TPI, at 4.9mm (0.192") dia

I cannot find any thread which fits this ! (model engineers, or Cycle dont do 34 TPI)

The nearest match seems to be 3BA at 34.79 TPI, 4.1mm Dia

If you cannot get nuts to fit I would run a 3/16" BSF die down at 32 TPI, 4.7mm dia

or a 10-32 UNF at 32 TPI, & 4.8mm dia.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

The only thing from my ancient Engineers Reference Book which is close to your measurements Bob is a pre-ISO French Standard thread - 0.75 mm pitch (33.87 tpi) and 5mm OD with 60 degree thread form.

Hi Guys

4BA and 3BA are already smaller than 2 BA which I said was too small as is no.12 UNF. and as I said to BOB it ain´t metric. I do have some M.E. dies so I can try them but no cycle threads.

I do have some smaller knurled nuts that look the same type, so maybe there were smaller holding down bolts on other instruments, but not on my two.

The mystery continues.

Dave

Hi Folks,

it is a 3BA thread pitch (34..84TPI) - I compared it to a NOS 3BA tap

The diameter on my rev counter is apprx 0.15675" which is a little smaller than the classic 3BA 0.1614 not not enough to say that it is not 3BA.

Good old fashion thread design - in fact one would say the 'perfect' thread design.

Roger

Humm that suggest there is more than one size of these going around, mine was definately 0.192 Dia. I used a vernier set to ½", & counted the threads from one end to t'other. Did it several times, & got exacly 17 each time. Could not use thread gauge as it did not have a 34 TPI blade.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

I have found a thread that is 0.196 x 32TPI it is referred to as a 'GAS (brass pipe) thread'

But then a 10/32 UNF would be similar - but that is actually 0.190" dia.

However it wouldn't work with your 34TPI !!!

Roger

Edited by RogerH

From my research there are at least three different sizes of knurled nuts for Smiths/Jaeger type instruments, one of which is 3BA, one metric, 4.5? as Alan T states and the third thread is probably 8-32 UNF but not confirmed.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Alan. I know about that, It is definately 34 TPI +/- a small fraction of a thread ! I have thread gauges, the 32 was too coarse, there was no 34 gauge in the set 'cos nobody uses 34 TPI !

The measured thread is 0.196 diameter. The original nominal size may be slightly bigger.

There is a thead (21 S&H) that is nominally 0.202 diameter with 32.6tpi. This is not spot on but getting awfully close.

S&H = Siemens & Halske

I have a very comprehensive thread chart (hundreds of the devils) and there are NONE at 34tpi.

Roger