after a 10 year rebuild. the tr6 lives again.

started engine ok, ( its on su carbs) and ran the engine at 2000 rpm to bed the kent cam in. total running time about one hour in several stints.

then next day decide to set up the carbs and ignition. start engine all ok got carbs better set and fairly happy. have coffee break.

start engine again and check gauges. ............ see smoke rising to the left of the glove box!!!!!! hummmmmmm. Calmly switch off engine and disconnect battery.

out with the lead light . remove the air vent pipes to get a better view and see a few melted wires. ho hum, it now decides it needs a new wiring loom , hopefully only the front half,

so dash out for the umpteenth time. and a large ish bill to pay to say autosparks.

moral of this story? if you are doing a full nut and bolt rebuild put a new loom in it could have burnt my car to the ground and my workshop and the barn its in. Q... why did it take over an hour for it to decide to go pyrotechnic? !!!!!

I fitted a new wiring loom to my 3A during it's rebuild. I also fitted a battery master switch under the dash panel.

I always remove the master switch key when the car is stationary or garaged. It also acts as a thief deterrent.It's also a good fire prevention device!

Strongly recommended! ;)

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Always fit a new loom when rebuilding as its a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

Stuart.

As ever Stuart is correct, didn't do this once, small fire when using headlights cooked loom , luckily didn't cook anything else....lesson learned.

Stuart,

Where is the best place to purchase a new loom for the TR6 with relays for head lamps and fuel pump already accounted for, and a decent fuse box ??

I will need one in a few months when I start putting mine back together.

Many thanks

Nigel

These guys ( http://www.autosparks.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4488)do a decent job and will customise to your relay requirements. Ive used both TR BItz and TRGB without issue and suspect that the aforementioned made the looms anyway. Adding in relays for the pump and lights is easy and can be done using the original loom as is and adding to it , thus retaining its original configuration. DIY costs less given relays are only a few quid.They also do fuse boxes.

I always use Autosparks but you must specify exactly what you want relayed and where you want any extras to come up on the loom so best to draw it out first on a bit of paper and then you can describe it better, talk to Paul.

Stuart.

Yep, I rewired Turk a few years back (hasn't caught fire yet!) using an Autosparks loom, but you must tell them what extras you want built in e.g. wiring for Kenlowe, map reading light, extra switches. relays, a/c, electric windows, ambient lighting etc, etc................

Cheers

Andrew

thanks for all the comments guys. a new loom is on the way.