Horn Location?

Hi

My 6 has plastic air horns fitted (using the oil cooler mounting points) and I would like to replace them with original style horns, but I cannot work out where the original horns were mounted - can anyone help with a picture? None of the usual sources seem to show this info (brown book, Haynes, Moss catalogue...).

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I'm in the same boat, my 6 didn't have any horns at all and like you say no reference to their position.

I have a triangular piece attached to the bumper brackets that attach to the chassis and wondered if they were the mounting brackets for said horns.

Mark

Both sides; taken from valance inlet.

Uncertain whether this is original position, or not.

Position is right brackets are not, they normally sit flat, the way yours are would allow the horns to fill up with water.

Stuart.

Position is right brackets are not, they normally sit flat, the way yours are would allow the horns to fill up with water.

Stuart.

Thank you, Stuart.

I enjoy your knowledgeable responses.

I knew I shouldn't drive in the wet, and now I have a good reason.

• 6 years later...
On 7/27/2015 at 6:43 PM, stuart said:

Stuart.

I'm revisiting this horn mounting. Mine has air horns and I don't like them.

Can someone please post a photo of the correct mounting arrangement?

10 minutes ago, Atl TR6 said:

replacement horns similar in shape, mounted on the original brackets.

100_4290.JPG

Thank you. The mounting bracket is still on my car so new horns are needed.

Moss have them at a reasonable price. Are they any good?

6 hours ago, John McCormack said:

The above is correct location, the Moss replacements are OK just make sure you test before fitting. One of my pet hates is when people have spent a fortune on a resto and then fitted cheap plastic horns.

Stuart.

14 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Moss horns are fine - I fitted them in 2015.

14 hours ago, stuart said:

The above is correct location, the Moss replacements are OK just make sure you test before fitting. One of my pet hates is when people have spent a fortune on a resto and then fitted cheap plastic horns.

Stuart.

No risk there Stuart. I haven't spent anything restoring this car, it is a survivor. It was painted in the 90s, a very nice job but only on external surfaces. The interior is almost as built with a walnut dash.

The car has an interesting history. The owner I bought it off only did 2,000 miles in his 3 years, the owner before him 5,000 miles in 22 years. He worked in China so only used the car a week or so a year. I have all the records since 1990 and the car has done 28,000 miles in 32 years. I've done 12,500 of them in my 5 years. 

I did do a fair bit of mechanical work; CV axles, suspension bushes, new shocks all round, rebuilt r&p, rocker gear, thrust washers, new oil pump, cleaned the sump out, repadded the seats, bought a new soft top and acquired a hardtop.

Cavity wax went everywhere I could get it in.

It gets used quite a lot in all weathers. 

Edited by John McCormack