Bulkhead steering bush?

I have removed the bottom steer column so access to the hole is simple.

The new Polybush, the blue one, all the way from Australia, goes in from the engine side

leaving the larger part of the bush in the engine bay.

I have put silicone on the outer edges, boiled it in water for 10 mins, swore and threatened it,

but the thing will NOT go int thole, How do you do it please.

They're like greased pigs ! and the silicone makes it worse, my method with all polybushes is to try and make them firmer 2 or 3 hours in the freezer then bang them in before they warm up.

Mick Richards

Pete

A couple of options on this thread. done mine last year using the cut and screw on method.

http://tr7triumph.com/forum/search.php?keywords=steering+bush

regards

Sean

Thanks for that Sean, I trimmed down the inside edge by about a mm then pulled it in with a bolt and large socket on the other side.

The same method just wouldn't work when it was in original size form.

Mick, spot on about greased pigs, the silicone just made it squirm anywhere.

I did ask Robsport how it was fitted and they said they pushed them in with their thumbs. they must have them on iron fists.

Just did mine on the Grinnall but I had the luxury of an empty engine bay. So I could get In there and apply much leverag. I poked at it with a wide screwdriver while avoiding stabbing myself through the hand and it suddenly popped in. It's amazing how much abuse these bushes will take without suffering damage. Similarly suspension bushes pushed in with a vice. The amount of pressure they take is enormous but they do go in and suddenly pop into place.

Glad you found a solution to yours.

I can't understand the problems that you have been having Peter. I fitted two last year (different cars) with my fingers, a screwdriver and a bit of WD40. Once the column was out of the way they took about 5 mins to do each one! The only thing I did notice on my TR8 is that the steering was very notchy until I lubricated the bush!

Cheers John

I can't understand the problems that you have been having Peter. I fitted two last year (different cars) with my fingers, a screwdriver and a bit of WD40. Once the column was out of the way they took about 5 mins to do each one! The only thing I did notice on my TR8 is that the steering was very notchy until I lubricated the bush!

Cheers John

John was it a polybush, if so your just far more powerful than me. I had to use mechanics to get the sod in after trimming it!

Superpro/Superflex bushes are usually a darn sight more difficult to insert than some of the cheaper varieties, but then they do tend to last considerably longer in service.

That some cars are even more difficult than others is, I reckon, down to BL quality control rather than to the Australian bushmen . . . .

Cheers

Alec

• 7 years later...

I'm struggling with getting the lower steering column to move up enough to put in the new bush. I've released the clamp 2/3 the way down the column so looosening the upper column and steering wheel from the lower column. i've put mole grips on the lower shaft and been tapping them with a hammer, and this has moved the bottom shaft so that the splines at the bottom are about half way out of the universal joint but I don't seem able to move it any further.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

All advice and suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Al

https://www.tr7triumph.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24586&p=249561&hilit=Steering+bush#p249561

I vaguely remember removing the complete saddle clamp on the steering column under the dashboard and undoing the top and bottom steering knuckle clamps on the steering shaft under the bonnet.

This enabled me to remove the latter and push the back the collapsible steering column towards the steering wheel to make room for the poly bush.  As per the link, if you locate the bottom half of the bush in the bulkhead first then lever the top in with a stout blunt screwdriver, (fingers out the way) it should slip in to place.  Warming the bush in a cup of boiled water for 10 minutes makes it marginally more pliable.

It helps if you have the front wheels in the dead straight ahead position to begin with and replace the steering column wheel dead ahead as well, otherwise you’ll have an offset steering wheel and chasing the right spline position afterwards.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I've finally sorted this. You need to remove (not just slacken) the pinch bolt where the column goes into the universal joint. Also the bush from Robsport came with a remark on the delivery note' File to fit'. After some futile attempts to emulate those who have managed to insert the bush without  modifying it, i made a sawcut through it and then it wound in easily.  Having done it, there seems to be a snug fit arount the column so I'm reasonably hopeful it will work ok.

Somewhere along the line I've done something so the steering wheel lock engages wth the wheel at 45 degrees rather than horizontal, but that's for another day.