A (quartz) watch for Menno

Nice! Sadly, the quality of these Chinese (?) movements is often 'iffy'. At 159 an expensive gamble.

Menno

Agreed -- not quite a vintage Benrus Competition "Triumph" edition, is it?

I wear my Sub in my TR all the time, Frank. There's not much it doesn't go with....

Oh dear, Frank's link makes me very happy! The value of these Rolex watches equals the price of the 3a!

Sadly I don't see a British watch like a Smiths on these pics.

Yesterday, Info (we) visited the Ferrari museum in Maranello. I took a pic of Mike Hawthorne's image when he won the World Title in 1958 with Ferrari. Mike is on the Wall of Fame among Fangio and Surtees to name a,few.Hawthorne appears to wear a gold chronograph watch. The jury is still out on the verdict about the brand.

Back in the early 60s,Omega launched the Speedmaster for motorsport purposes and the Seamaster for diving. So if you want a period correct watch for motorsport, get a Speedy.

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

I kinda wish the vent escutcheon weren't put on with PosiDriv (or at least Phillips) screws, though. (OK -- anorak off...)

dsc_8312.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Probably restored by a MG guy, Stan, where Phillips head screws dominate. Ask me how I know. Something honest and simple like a slotted screw fits better with a mechanical watch -- if ya take the back off that Rolex ya won't find any stinkin' IKEA-class PosiDriv!

Another anorak question -- exactly how many Phillips head screws are on a sidescreen TR?

Another anorak question -- exactly how many Phillips head screws are on a sidescreen TR?

Originally I dont think there were any, certainly not on 2`s or 3`s.

Stuart.

Yeah, Joe Lucas and co used Phillips-head screws to mount pole windings.

Stuart is right (as far as he goes - hint) but Standard-Triumph themselves did install Phillips head screws on sidescreen TRs. The door's still open for the answer to "how many"?

By the end of 3a and also with 3b production then I suspect that cross headed screws were starting to be introduced as they were appearing in car production all over by then.

Stuart.

Only in one place, Stuart, as far as I know...

I'll edit this at the end of the day with the number and location from my experience, in the event somebody else hasn't gotten there first.