Overdrive issues! TR5 TR6

The overdrive on my TR5 is messing about!!

When selected it takes a couple of seconds to engage runs ok whilst driving steadily but the overdrive cuts out when I accelerate hard. Easing off the throttle often allows it to cut back in (a bit like kicking up and down in an automatic) but it will never re-engage at 70mph.

I have checked the oil level all ok and also the solenoid which clicks in and out when tested ignition on, 4th gear selected.

any ideas??

Sean

Hi Sean

Might be a long shot but:-

Have owned my TR6 for 30years plus. The gearbox & overdrive were reconditioned 6 years ago & has covered 35,000 miles since no problems

105,000 miles on the clock.

Last year on our way to euro tunnel on the M2 the overdrive suddenly cut out then after a few seconds cut back in this continued so left the overdrive off.

Early part of this year did I get the car on hoist & found the earth connection, crimp lug, only just making connection i.e very loose, the earth link to gear box was replaced with new & problem resolved.

Worth a check & clean both terminals.

Alec