A Type overdrive & adapters

I've been offered an A type overdrive (in exchnage for a good bottle of red wine )which came off a Stag and I'd like to fit it to my TR4

It was working when removed a couple of years ago to be replaced with a J type

Assuming once checked & overhauled it works well, I understand the are specific adaptor plates required which differ on the TR4.

I am also led to believe that the gearbox extension can be taken off and the overdrive dotted in its place with no alteration required to the driveshaft - is this correct?

Apart from column switch what other bits and pieces do I need? And where best to get them

Help and advice appreciated

Graze

Hi Graze,

Not quite that simple. Assuming that you intend to fit a Stag O/D to your existing box, you will need to strip the g/box and replace the mainshaft as it is shorter for the overdrive. The output flange will need changing to match the TR drive (prop) shaft. Not too sure with the A type but the adapter plate shoud be the same as the gear casing is the same.

Again, you need to consider the angle of the solenoid as these differ on some overdrives.

Cheers

Graeme

Maybe its a good idea to give all that to Mike Papworth

and have him bring that all together.

I swapped some gearboxes with J-Overdrives from Volvo

and found its not that straight forward as it seems........