Afternoon All.

After a very wet trip to Ireland I need to do something about the drippy hood. I've treated it with hood reviver but it still drips on the seam. Rather than messing about with it anymore I was thinking of getting a cover but only for the hood. Has anyone any recommendations ?

Thanks Mark

Mark,

I have used a number of these type of covers in the past and found many of them to be unsatisfactory for the following reasons:

- Many of them are much bigger than the exact footprint of the hood, windscreen and side windows. As soon as that happens, they can tend to flap, causing abrasion marks on the paintwork. This happened to me on an XJS from one of the quite reputable companies. I immediately returned the cover.

- If the cover touches the body and it's nylon, it can also cause paint abrasion over time

- Many of them use straps to attach to wheel arches etc. This is not ideal.

In my limited experience, I think you need to go for one which is a custom fit for the car and doesn't use wheelarch strap fixing. Although it may cost more, it will be worth it in the long run. Have a look at the following:

http://www.cabrioshield.com/uk/triumph-tr6.html

I have no direct experience of them but know a few guys who have them on Jaguar XK8s and they are very happy with them.

Good luck

Paul

Mark,

Paul is correct, probably not suitable for long-term storage but I'm guessing you just need it occasionally overnight.

The one I have from Cover Systems has elasticated straps which loop round the spinners.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi everyone.

Yes it's just occasional use, most of the time he's tucked up safe and sound it's only when he's stupid owner takes him away.

Thanks for the replies and comments I'll search through and make a decision.

Mark

Hi Mark

I agree that the best is to have them custum fit, use the tonneau hood poppers to hold in place(doors and back) and the wipers over the wind scren.

It cost me about £25:-)

I'try to post a photo

Jose

Hi Mark

Try this stuff, I am going to use it on my 6 soon.

https://youtu.be/A9-mR4eprQk

I have used their crystal serum on my new merc and it is the dogs danglies!!!!, and its a British invention too ;)

its a reasonable price :P

Edited by Clarkey

Hi Clarkey.

Looks good, only problem is mine is leaking on the seam. I have treated it with Renovo and the rest of the hood is fine, as it's in good condition I don't want to replace it. I'll probably go for a hood cover.

Thanks anyway Mark

Agree with Paul's comments, and after we struggled to make one (nearly broke the sewing machine!) I have been looking for a suitable ready made top only cover for a surrey equipped TR4 - the Cabrioshield type for the TR6 looks interesting, and should be a reasonable fit. It will be used mainly as a first line of weather defence when left outside on tour, and also keeping prying eyes out.

Anybody going to Malvern with one I can inspect?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike.

I've just received a cover from Cover Systems, very pleased for the money.

I will be at Malvern if you fancy a look, staying at the Abbey so will only be n on Saturday.

Cheers Mark