Engine Start after 10 years

Help please. I took my 71 TR6 off the road 10 years ago untouched in the meantime, and am now trying to get it up and running again.

It has an original PI system but with a KMI MU. Before attempting an engine start I removed the MU and confirmed manual turnover was possible. MU seemed ok and could be spun with no resistance.

MU has been replaced and new fuel tank fitted.

Engine turns over ok but no fuel getting to injectors, pump sounds like it is functioning ok.

Do I keep turning over in case it simply needs time to purge or how can I confirm where fuel is getting "blocked". Obviously nervous about fuel under pressure

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike

You might find that opening the pipes at the injectors to bleed the system, and then cranking until some fuel emerges.

Make sure you take off the ignition lead from the coil so there will be not sparks.

John

Should just need the injectors bleeding. Remove the injector with I the shortest pipe first and crank the starter without the coil lead connected. Use a pair of pliers to pull the pin at the end of the injector. You should hear a hiss as the compressed air escapes and fuel should follow soon after. Then move on to the next shortest pipe and so on. When all show fuel pop them backin, connect the lead and cross your fingers. Good luck. Laurence.

Before it actually fires, I presume you have changed the oil, put oil in the bores and spun it over without plugs and checked oil pressure ?

There's a good chance some of the valves will be stuck (along with the clutch).

And replace all the rubber fuel pipes as NTC says, modern fuels may not be compatible.

Jerry

The PRV is pretty easy to dismantle and clean up, just remove the circlip at the top and work your way back. Mine was seized inside after being laid up for 16 years, a little tinkering and polishing of the internal components and it worked perfectly again. I wish i'd looked at it before trying the new fuel pump and blowing the diaphragm in my old MU though..

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar problem after only 18 months. The Bosch pump was making no pressure, and the diagnosis was that the ball bearings that constitute the vanes in the pump were stuck in their lands, by petrol residues. I cured it by adding double the normal amount of injector cleaner, plus some 2stroke oil in a small amount of fuel - 5 litres - in the tank, and running the pump so that it dumped the fuel straight back into the tank. This circular flushing released the balls after about twenty minutes of treatment, and pressure was resumed. I then pumped the 'flushing fuel' into a can marked "Lawnmower", refilled the tank, added the normal amount of cleaner and it's done fine ever since.

Another time, I'd put something in the tank to protect the system. before the lay-up. Millers do "TankSafe"; I'm sure there are others. Yachties routinely fill up the tank for winter and add a "fuel stabiliser", so find a chandler?

JOhn