Ride height TR5

Hi Bengt,

My Standard TR5 is in the paint shop and I should get it back Friday.

I fitted standard springs on the rear and found they sat too high. ( TT4212pr)

I then fitted slightly lowered uprated springs and now looks correct and the camber of the wheel is correct. (TT4216pr)

All from Moss.

I will measure and let you know Friday or Saturday if that helps.

Regards Harry.

No I have not disappeared. I am still with you. I got answer from 3 Swedes. All in mm.

1. Front 385, rear 385

2. Front 340, rear 345

3. Front 365. rear 380

I have: Front 345, rear 385. I don´t know what type of springs I have. I bought the TR5 2007. I still wonder what it shall be. Shall I make someting about my rear or my front??

• 4 years later...

...following on, am getting towards the final stages of the restoration of my 5 and actually rolled it outside today. It appears to be very high at the back. The springs are standard from Moss all round and the car is obviously not loaded. Front measures 393mm from wheel centre to underside of wheel arch and the rear is 440mm. Should I be concerned?

Many thanks,

Tim

IMG_5953s.thumb.JPG.8be573dfb9fddabe7309b3280e67cda9.JPG

Bengt,
if you look at Tims car it would be clear for me what needs changing: lower the rear. Personal taste is also a bit part of the equation. The chassis should be level, as a basis. Mine is 150-155 mm from the floor.

Tim,

I would measure camber too at the rear. This can be done easily with a water level. 
Maybe that needs correction, which will also influence height (a bit).

Waldi

Rear camber is way off but everything has been put on as it came off so nothing has been adjusted as yet. Was just curious how I would lose approx 50mm height on the rear through adjustment alone. Will check chassis height. I imagine a full tank of fuel and two occupants will make a difference. Probably a little early to be worrying about this?

Tim

Hi Tim,
if you are lucky the camber adjustment will lower the car, but not by 50 mm. The same applies for adding load I’m afraid. Others will know better I’m sure.
Waldi

Its not going to settle by just rolling it out of the workshop, you need to get a few miles on it then it will settle down and you`ll probably find by then the height will be fine or possibly even a bit low.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I realised that I have to drive it for a little to settle it down but was sceptical that it would settle by that amount. Just finding the next thing to worry about!!

Many thanks,

Tim

I have found replacement " stock " springs to give positive camber in the rear. The wire diameter is larger but have more coils - just a different animal.

When I changed trailing arm brackets and inverted some of them to get the camber to 1 degree negative +/-  1/2 degree the ride height settled in pretty well. On one of my cars I had to use an aluminium spacer on one side to equalize them.

Peter, your old photo shows some seriously negative camber! Typical in the day, I suppose. Certainly was in our market on the TR6s; TR250s didn't seem to suffer as much of it.

Tom

The Moss standard springs fitted are way to high (by a considerable amount about 3") - I have highlighted this to Moss several times.

You'll need to order the ones Harry has fitted otherwise (lowered and uprated) otherwise it will always sit up like a "Jacked up Ford Anglia"