Has anyone fitted a Powerspark ignition module I have tried two modules neither seem to work Going back to good old points Or am I doing something wrong in fitting

I have had a Powerspark dizzy on my 6 for 12 months. I have had three failures of the module, including one that was dead on arrival. Powerspark to their credit sent me modules to replace the failed ones but even one of those was useless. Apparently you should not use copper plug leads! I have bitten the bullet and have now fitted a 123 which works well.

Peter

I have an Accuspark one in my '3, & a Powerspark one in my 6 volt Hillman. The TR has clocked up a fair few thousand miles in the 2 years I have been driving it, & have had no problems.

I have heard that you should have some resistance in the HT circuit, either using standard (0 ohm) plug caps, & resistive cable, or copper cable & resistive plugs caps. I have the former.

Bob.

Hi thanks Peter I have Magncor leads which work well still no joy with module no two Going to have a heated chat with powerspart to-morrow hopefully getting a refund or bettet service. Derek

We have more than a dozen in our club that use the Powerspark modules for about 30GBP

both in 4 and 6 cylinders. Did not hear of any trouble.

Mine was fitted with heat transfer paste to get rid of the heat in the module.

Very important is the resistance of the coil, that should be above 2,5 ohms

otherwise it will be destroyed.

As I now rely on VR sensor at the crank it is not in use any longer.

The wrong cables should not impress the module, its not an EDIS or Megasquirt.

They both hate that.....

Would wonder if the module sees the difference in the secondary circuit.

I had copper cables and 1K resistor plugs in use and spark plugs without resistors.

If there is a problem related to the Powerspark there might be a quality problem

in the near past time, ours, as said, are older and fully reliable......

As Andreas explained the key factor for reliability is to select/have a compatible Coil in terms of resistance .

On my side I used AccuSpark on my Stag since years with the correct coil and I amvery happy with the performance and reliability.

Regards

Edited by Marc R

I am using a flamethrower 1.5 amp coil that according to Powerspark is OK. I was also using Magnecor leads and the guys at Powerspark suggested that I use silicone. I purchased some but they are still in the wrapping as I am using the Magnecors with the 123. I may have been unlucky but my confidence is not at its highest with the Powerspark module, especially that one of the replacements was DOA.

Peter

This topic comes up regularly on here and usually ends up with some posters saying that they have had two or three before they have got one that works and others posting that they are delighted with the one they got whic worked straight out of the box.

I suspect that there is no quality control at the factory in China so it is the UK punter that does this by rejecting ones that don't work. All the previous posts suggest that the UK seller (Simon BBC on ebay) is happy to keep replacing the offending units.

One point which may or may not be relevant. I have the Aldon version of which the Accuspark is a copy. With the Aldon vesion, I was told that it required a 'full fat' 12v supply to work properly so if you have the ballasted 9v supply of the later cars, this might be a source of problems. I use Magnacor leads so it can't be that.

I have an Accuspark one in my '3, & a Powerspark one in my 6 volt Hillman. The TR has clocked up a fair few thousand miles in the 2 years I have been driving it, & have had no problems.

I have heard that you should have some resistance in the HT circuit, either using standard (0 ohm) plug caps, & resistive cable, or copper cable & resistive plugs caps. I have the former.

Bob.

I should add that coil primary resistance is important, The modules are only happy with higher resistance (ie non sport) types, unless it is on a 6V system (as in my 1935 Hillman) when lower resistance is OK because of the lower voltage.

Bob.

Can't see how the type of plug leads should affect the ignition module. (I suppose back emf possibly but the difference it might make to the low tension side of the circuit which the ignition module affects should be minimal.

If it works on points then either the units are defective or you have the live/earth sides mixed up and cooking the ignition unit. The former being the more likely.

Andy, I agree entirely, they either work or they don’t! I cannot see that copper leads would make any difference but I at least followed the advice given by the supplier so as not to invalidate the warranty. on the product.

After a return visit to Powerspark with yet another dead module which they exchanged and fitted adding an additional earth wire to Dizzy now working 100% but after 3 modules Hope it lasts!!