OK, so I have to consider door mirrors on my TR4. I've owned it for years and I've come to the conclusion that it's safer to be them than without. BUT, what type of door mirrors should I fit? I have Bill Piggot's book with all sorts of photos of TRs with and it seems the bullet type are 'classic' fitting but I've read a lot if poor feedback regarding their limited view. Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Keith

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. Just need to make a decision. Good point re putting them as far forward as possible, I'll check when I get them fitted. I'm going to try and get to an Essex local meeting next week, maybe see some in the flesh!

• 5 years later...

I’ve had some recent issues with my right eye and have just had surgery on it.  There's the likelihood of the loss of some peripheral vision to that eye and I’m concerned at how that will affect my driving in the future, especially when merging with traffic etc.   I have looked at other posts on blind spots in mirrors including wing mirrors in posts such as this one.  I have door mirrors of the flat glass Tex type on my 4A. 

I wonder if anyone has used those small stick on blind spot mirrors which you stick in the corner of an existing mirror and how successful they are in practice.  I'd been thinking of putting one on the drivers door mirror and would welcome views or other suggestions.

Paul

_DSC0157-2.thumb.jpg.776abce0de56f3ff940e8f493267934d.jpg

Thanks Peter.  I had meant to say, I might be considering it for my modern car as well but early days yet.   Where did you get that one as those I’ve seen so far appear conical so I was doubting their effectiveness.

I vaguely recall that there may be some form of interior concave mirror that might also be helpful.   But as the TR’s sun visors are already close to the original small mirror then a larger one may cause an interference issue.  Having just said that I’m tall in the spine and have to slouch slightly on my MX5 seats to see fully under the header of the windscreen already so don’t ever use the drivers sun visor as it blocks everything beyond the bonnet, so perhaps not an issue.  Does anyone have any experience of  a potential clip on interior mirror?  

Paul

Edited by PaulAnderson

I use bullet mirrors, plain on right, convex on left.

Fitted by Revington in the early 1990s during the re-build (GAM105).

They work well for me, in conjunction with a wider (Dolomite type) internal mirror. 

They don't protrude as far as those on stand-offs, so less vulnerable and don't wobble.

Photo of Brian Culcheth alongside the car.

Ian Cornish

Brian Culcheth 4VC at WCR40 - 1-1280.jpg