Help identifying Steering Dash attachment

I wonder if anyone could help me identify the correct shape for an item that is part of the Steering column dash attachment on my CR TR6. I'm also confused by the location of a few other items.

I've started the refurbishment of a number of items which were removed 25 years ago (Yes!) when I first started the restoration. Before I blast and paint one of the items, I'm trying to understand what shape it should be and where it fits in relation to the other bits. It's the channeled black item in the pics. It seems like it's got bent either when it was originally in the car or when I removed it all these years ago. I can't believe that it's supposed to be this shape.

post-2788-0-30607300-1436183284_thumb.jpg

post-2788-0-31379100-1436183272_thumb.jpg

So, I wonder if some kind member can tell me:

- what is the correct shape for the channeled item?

- where does it fit?

- where do the two dome covers go?

- where should those two short strips of felt go?

Tks in advance for any thoughts.

Paul

And the channelled item as you put it is number 10

Guys,

Thanks for your replies. However, I'm left confused. The loose felt pieces are not items 17 & 18 (36 & 37 on Rimmers) as those pieces are still intact on my U-clamp as you may be able to see from my photo. In addition, my "bent" channel seems different from item 10 (30 on Rimmers) as I don't have a round bracket affixed to the end. I just have a square hole with the metal cutout pressed through at 45 degrees. I do have a round bracket but mine is affixed to the U-clamp plate as you can see in my photo.

I wonder if the setup changed over the years and the schematics relate to an earlier year. My H-shaped bracket is definitely slightly different with the cross-piece of the H welded on top not underneath. One of the felt pieces is shaped such that it looks as if it would sit on top of that cross-piece. Is there another steering column clamp or fixing that sits at that position which would need those felt pieces?

I think the channel piece is probably supposed to be straight anyway, so I'll straighten it before cleaning and painting. But I still don't know what it does or to where it should be affixed. And I'm still confused by the extra felt pieces. As you can appreciate, the location of all of this makes it difficult for me to look at another TR6 to compare anything.

Any more thoughts gratefully received.

Paul

Mark & Roger,

Thank you for your comments.

At last I understand where that channel piece goes. From your pic, Mark, I'm guessing the square cutout is engaging with a slot in the column shroud. Closer examination of the piece shows that the last 1/2/" (where the round bracket would be) is a duller paint colour so perhaps the round bracket is actually a separate item that is clamped around. The parts diagram shows it all as one piece but there is no broken weld on my channel piece. I think I will straighten it and then make up a round clamp bracket to go on the end. Maybe I damaged it and lost the round bracket when dismantling the car 25 years ago? Or maybe its still clamped around the column when I eventually look at the column?

Marks's photo makes me think that the design must have changed at some point. You have two unjoined lengths whereas I have a welded cross-piece between them on my 73-built RHD car although the cross-piece is welded above not below as shown on the diagram.

I can see from the diagrams that I must have other bits either still attached to the column or maybe still on the dash (which i remember taking out in one piece). Looks like I'm going to have visit the storage garage and dig out the column and dash before I know what might be missing. I can see where the dome covers go now from the parts diagram but the additional 2 felt pieces are still puzzling me. One might be part no.49 on the Moss diagram? The other one definitely looks like it fits on top of the cross-piece on the H-frame. Maybe the column just sits on top of that felt on the cross-piece?

Tks again to everyone.

Paul

OK,

So I've now pretty much straightened the wiring shroud bracket, sandblasted, primed and topcoated all the parts, and put them back together as they were when I pulled them out of storage. I'm still not sure where the extra 2 felt pieces go but I'll worry about that when it finally gets put back together.

BUT, I'm thinking that I might have dismantled all this bracketry when I stripped the car 25 years ago and loosely put it all back together to put the bits in storage. Because when I now look along the alignment as shown in the second pic, it seems the bridge piece of the H-bracket would foul the steering column. The parts diagram seems to show that bridge piece underneath the 2 side pieces but mine was definitely on top when I pulled the bits out of the box.

So, did I loosely put it back together upside down when I stripped it off the car, or have I got it correct and the steering column sits at an angle, thus clearing the bridge piece?

I also don't know what is the purpose of the round clamp bracket that I have which is mounted on one side at the lower end of the H-bracket. It doesn't seem to appear on any of the parts books that I have or which are available online. Does anyone know what it does and is it positioned correctly on my assembly? Is it for a heater blower duct hose or a wiring loom or what?

I guess I'll only know all the answers if someone has a pic of the brackets assembled correctly, or if I can crawl under the dash of someone's car. But I'm assuming the lower dash panel will preclude me from viewing it in situ?

As always, any thoughts gratefully received.

Tks

Paul

post-2788-0-71468100-1436535763_thumb.jpg

post-2788-0-99159400-1436535773_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul,

the two pieces of felt that you have fitted are #40 & 41 from the Moss site http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/steering-suspension/steering/steering-wheels-columns-fittings.html .

Your two mysterious pieces could be from #50 and #48. Item #48 shows a 'strip' I'm sure these are felt on the 4A.

Roger

Hi Paul

The round clamp in your photo supports a heater/blower ducting pipe and is fitted to the underside of the bulkhead clamp as you have placed it.

The H shaped bracket only fits one way up when in place with the other adjacent parts as far as I remember, and I think this part is only on later cars with a steering lock.

Regards

Ian

Ian & Roger,

Tks for your replies.

I've just returned from visiting the Stag Owners Club National Day where the Kent TRs were a visiting display. One TR6 owner kindly let me grovel under his dash. As expected, it was impossible to see anything, particularly which side the heater duct clamp is fitted.

However, I was able to feel (with difficulty!) that the H-bracket was fitted with the cross-piece welded on the underside as shown in the parts diagram. So if, as Ian says, the bracket can only be fitted one way, then I guess I must have loosely reassembled it upside down after originally removing it from the car.

I expect that I'll work out where the 2 felt pieces go when I finally fit it all back together.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Richard,

My guess is that 43 fits between, but only because of where they've positioned it in the pic. My (perhaps naive) assumption is that if 48 was fitted above 43 then they would have drawn it in a higher position on the diagram. But that may be a completely flawed assumption! I hope to see a late 6 early next month and will have a look then, if no-one is able to clarify prior.

Paul