Decision time. Real Miniltes come in at 33% premium over Rimmers'.

i/c bolts and VAT : £475 vs £ 632.

Any thoughts? It is not a concours car, very far from it.

Its more of a distress purchase

Whats the difference?

Peter

Got my minilite replicas from Midlands wheels. Seem ok. Just needed a 3 mm spacer and longer studs at the front.

Cheers

Tim

There is quite a world of difference between genuine and copy if you look at them carefully, mainly in the web behind each of the spokes. The old KN wheels were a direct copy of the Miniltes but the new ones dont have as much re-enforcing behind. Obviously for normal road use the copies available now are fine but dont try using them hard. I believe Mr Coote has a set of genuine period Minilte mags for sale if you want to PM him.

Stuart.

I would recommend using genuine Minilites every time. Genuine Minilites, as fitted to my 'E'-type

Jaguar, have 'shorter' spokes and have the name 'Minilite' cast into the wheel.

Genuine Minilites appear to be much stronger than replicas.

Replica Minilites have longer spokes and give the car the 'cartwheel' appearance.

My 1968 Mini Cooper is also fitted with genuine Minilites.

My 3A is fitted with Dunlop centre lock alloy wheels.

Tom.

The genuine Minilites imo have the correct 'look'

Also they come with steel inserts in the hub, taper wheel nuts, x rayed, all wheel bolts & centre caps.

They 'should' also fit without needing spacers........!!

Worth the extra money :)

Tom

If price is everything....or are these something different?

How does £397 for 4 incld nuts hit you?

http://www.midlandwheels.com/Shop/P-2981-5.5-x-15-JBW-Minilight-Silver---4x114.3.html

Peter W

Pete, and Roger, Many thanks that makes real Mls 50% more expensive. Despite the strength argument - thanks Stuart - I cant really resist the saving. And if they develop a bit of a patina on the varnish...it will match the rest of the car....

And age is impairing my hard driving ambitions.

Got my minilite replicas from Midlands wheels. Seem ok. Just needed a 3 mm spacer and longer studs at the front.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

The ones in Pete's quote seem to have E15 offset - same as steel - so I hope will fit without spacer/stud changes.

Were your's E15 ??

Peter

BTW it just passed its MoT.

And the local PO issued 12mo tax (free) and sent off the form to reassign it historic status.

And its raining....

Edited by Peter Cobbold

I've fitted those "Minilite replicas" from MWS on my Stag and so far no sign of the surface peeling away and that's a good 5 years ago!

May not be the genuine article but certainly not cheap junk. As for appearance - that's a personal thing as to whether you prefer longer or shorter spokes

I had a set from midland wheels too, good service and good prices.

Steve

Bit late on this but

These Silverstone 11 look great

http://gc360enterprises.com/the_new_silverstone.html

Only problem there from Canada

Wish we could get these in UK

Steve

Edited by whatmore179

Hello Peter

If you do not require "race" quality minilites, try MGBHIVE for them, they are obviously copies, come in black, anthracite or silver. 5.5 or 6j x 15 complete with nuts and caps with TR6 logo

All for £299

I have two friends who have bought these wheels two years ago and have had no issues with them. I am about to purchase the 6j in Anthracite for my TR6, they also sell very competively priced tyres and fit them correctly (lining up the red dot) to minimise the amount of weights used in balancing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/381319419442?lpid=82&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F0%252Fe11011.m43.l1120%252F7%253Feuid%253D98a35395fb844aab90530c13885ad825%2526loc%253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%25252Fitm%25252Flike%25252F381319419442%25253Flpid%25253D82%2526exe%253D12576%2526ext%253D31700%2526sojTags%253Dexe%253Dexe%252Cext%253Dext%2526srcrot%253De11011.m43.l1120%2526rvr_id%253D0

Kc

Thanks Kc. Cant find 5.5J but the 6Js are a very good price. Veering towards MWS with four 195 x65s fitted, balanced at present. Because I can be fairly certain they'll fit without longer studs, as that could eat into the £100 difference Peter

Peter

Give MGBHIVE a call before you make the final leap, i am 99% sure their wheels are the JBW type that MWS sell. I wonder if they can get the 5.5's at a better price. Certainly worth 5 minutes on the phone

Which tyres did you actually choose so many the same but different!!

Kc

Peter

Give MGBHIVE a call before you make the final leap, i am 99% sure their wheels are the JBW type that MWS sell. I wonder if they can get the 5.5's at a better price. Certainly worth 5 minutes on the phone

Which tyres did you actually choose so many the same but different!!

Kc

These look good value - thanks Stuart - and will be better than 15 year old tyres down to 2.5mm tread.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-195-65-15-91V-1956515-Yokohama-C-Drive-2-Performance-Road-Tyres-/301356391584?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Tyre+Width%3A195|Aspect+Ratio%3A65|Diameter%3A15&hash=item462a3d9ca0

Peter

Are you sure the mg wheel offset are the same as the ones........

Are you sure the mg wheel offset are the same as the ones........

Not from what is on the MG website, no ! The 6 Js are E8 but no data on 5.5Js

Also, the thickness of the alloy centres must be greater than steel even if the rear offset is 15mm for 5.5Js.

That's my concern over stud length. Same goes for the MWS 5.5J alloys: E15 is fine but the centres are likely to be at least 50% thicker judging from tensile strengths.

Peter

Peter

I imagine that is why the wheels are supplied with matching nuts.

Alot of TR owners have already bought the 5.5's and also 6's and no one has mentioned having to change the studs??

Whilst MGBHIVE are a MG parts seller the wheels are marketed as specifically for TR6 so I assume the ET is correct for our cars

As i said earlier a quick phone call will get all the answers required

Best of luck and let us all know how you get on

Kc

Peter,

Not sure of my midlands wheels designation. But defiantly needed a 3 mm spacer to prevent it hitting the end of the anti roll bar.

Went for the black with chrome rim. They look good with pimento.

Tim

I like the Silverstones too. They replicate an American Racing wheel which was an option at TRIUMPH dealers in the day, and originals of these fetch silly money now ( and I think they were magnesium ).

Note that these, and other 6" wheels won't admit fitment of the original size 165 tyres; 5-1/2" is the max for them.

Cheers,

Tom