Anyone fitted Led bulbs? Any problems? I have bought a pair stop tail, bulbs ok when tested but will not work in car.

Mine is Positive earth Pete so it looks like the problem is polarity as Roger identifys. Will see if they supply other polarity otherwise will not bother as I have electronic ignition and it will be wasted if I change polarity.

Vic

I also had a problem getting the tail/brake lights to work, but that was because the dual solder terminal on mine were a bit on the large size. After filing them off a bit they worked OK.

However, on my car (4A) fitted throughout (except headlights) with LEDs, when i use indicators the front sidelights flash in sequence with the indicators. If I remove just one tail/brake led and replace with standard bulb the flashing sidelights stop. I might need to try another source for the tail/brake bulbs.

My first replacenment electronic flasher was of wrong spec and didnt work, replacing with a lower switch current (0.02 to 20 amp) was fine. So take care when you source your electron flasher replacement.

John

I've just tried some tailight bulbs and was unimpressed.

Didn't appear to make much difference on sidelight (slightly 'redder' but not brighter) and were less effective than incandescent on brake, so they're going back.

Jerry

Depends on which bulbs you use Jerry, I have these with 92SMD LED`s and they are bright! http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/pr/380-led-canbus-bulbs/

You need the red LED ones or else they look pink.They arent cheep but allied with my LED high level brake light you cant miss them!

Stuart.

I contacted Rimmers who supplied the bulbs and informed me that they did not stock Positive earth bulbs. Cannot fault them as I had overnight delivery and returning bulbs for reimbursement.

Any advice on who supplies the bulbs bearing in mind the polarity?

Depends on which bulbs you use Jerry, I have these with 92SMD LED`s and they are bright! http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/pr/380-led-canbus-bulbs/

You need the red LED ones or else they look pink.They arent cheep but allied with my LED high level brake light you cant miss them!

Stuart.

Have you tried these in TR2/3 rear lamps? - How effective/improved are they compare to the orig filament bulbs?

The bulb in TR2/3 rear lamps as you know lie flat rather than pointing out, plus there is no obvious reflector.

Peter W

I havent, I suspect they may not do the trick there. They are designed to be used in the horizontal plane for standard light fitting with reflector.

Stuart.

So far the only bulbs I have found to work in a SS car which are better than standard are some halogen ones rated at 6 / 32W.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm I just paid what I think is a lot for a LED bulb and agree with jerry that the reult is unimpressive the side light is about the same with slightly more lens filled but not any brighter. The stop light however is brighter so I will keep them. The problem I have is the with the ignition off all the cars stationary lights work as they should however when the ignition is on the new LED sop and tail lights come on at stop light brightness. I tried wiring in a bulb in the boot to act as a resistor but that didn't work. Is there an electrician amongst us that can tell me if and how I can get these pesky things to work :unsure:

Thanks

Charles

Thanks but nope, with standard filament bulbs all lights inc. brake lights works as they should?

It has been suggested that a residue of electricity lurkes in the brake circuits undetected by the filament bulbs but the LEDs are very sensitive and maybe a ballast would be needed (I have no idea what this is perhaps same as a resistor. Open to ideas on how to sort this.

Thanks

Charles

That doesn't sound right. I can't get my head around why turning the ignition on causes the brake lights to operate. The circuit diagram shows that can't happen unless the brake switch is on. Did you try disconnecting it? If it's a bit flakey I guess it could leak enough to light an LED but not an incandescent bulb.

Try disconnecting the stop lamp switch anyway, it may not be going open circuit, any residual resistance will light an LED bulb, but not a (higher current) filament type.

Bob.

I use - LED lamp resistors - You used to be able to get them from Halfords or search on ebay - for example - not expensive, easy to fit. I use 2 for my 6, which has 8 indicator bulbs. Works well, but make sure you fit these in a safe position, well away from other wires. as they can get hot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390810103849?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

We supply positive bulbs and the right angle bulbs for the TR3 etc, rear brake/stop. Not cheap and I'm biased. but have a look a thttp://www.litezupp.org

Best Bill