Too much heat in the footwell

All

whilst out for a drive in the 6 earlier today, SWMBO commented upon the amount of heat getting to her legs from the area of the gearbox, she found it a might uncomfortable.

To be fair, whilst I was aware of the footwell area being warmer than the rest of the cockpit, I didn't feel that the heat was excessive . . . . . . maybe I'm just used to it.

Is this "excessive" heat normal, or are there issues here that need to be addressed?

Is there any form of heat shielding available, designed to counter this?

Many thanks in advance

John, all of the TR's 2-6 get pretty toasty on a hot day. Your feet are up against the engine, the gearbox is next to you and the hot exhaust is running underneath the floor. If the firewall grommets are missing or worn out or the gearbox tunnel seal missing or worn out you will get more hot air than normal into the footwells. A lot of people apply insulation for both heat and sound to the floor, firewall and tranny cover using Dynamat or similar products. This makes the cabin quieter and cooler.

Stan

All

whilst out for a drive in the 6 earlier today, SWMBO commented upon the amount of heat getting to her legs from the area of the gearbox, she found it a might uncomfortable.

To be fair, whilst I was aware of the footwell area being warmer than the rest of the cockpit, I didn't feel that the heat was excessive . . . . . . maybe I'm just used to it.

Is this "excessive" heat normal, or are there issues here that need to be addressed?

Is there any form of heat shielding available, designed to counter this?

Many thanks in advance

Hi John

I had some of this left over http://www.oakfloorsonline.co.uk/products/other-products/comfort-silver-underlay/and have just put it under the carpet of my car when I fitted new seats. I have noticed it is a fair bit cooler now.

Although it seems a 'no-brainer', that the gearbox and exhaust are just under the gearbox cover isn't a factor causing heat in the cockpit.

And I can prove it - in my Vitesses, anyway, and I think the argument goes for a TR as well.

My Silverback was an experiment in aero. It had the radiator in the back of the estate body, and one result was that it was a cold car!m Although the engine, gearbox and exhaust pipe were not moved form their normal positions, the car was cold to drive. No heat at all into the passenger area.

This is logical when you think about it. The component that puts out more heat by far is the radiator - it's designed to do that, mostly by an enormous surface area. The engine itself, the gear box and exhaust have such a small surface area that their heat out put is insignificant, while the radiator puts out enormous volumes of hot air. THAT's what heats the cockpit! Triumphs have no fancy ducting to remove all thatvehat from under the bonnet, it must escape under the car, and through the transmission tunnel.

There it will heat the gearbox cover, but a far greater component is due to the hot air getting into the passenger area, through the many holes in the bulkhead, once sealed with rubber grommets, now perished, and between the gearbox cover and the floor, notoriously difficult to seal. That your partner in the passenger seat complained, when your side wasn't so hot show the truth of this. And the good news is that all this hot air CAN be excluded, without investing in expensive, and futile, insulation inside the cover!

A dark garage, a torch under the bonnet, and an observer in the cockpit, will reveal the many holes, and gearbox cover sealing kits are available.

TRy it! It's (relatively) cheap and it works!

John

At the risk of teaching Grandma........... Are you sure that the heater valve is turning off fiully, the theory that a puny bit of wire can push the valve closed is put severely to the test on these cars. Open the bonnet and return the valve by hand.

Cheers

Allan

And the good news is that all this hot air CAN be excluded, without investing in expensive, and futile, insulation inside the cover!

A dark garage, a torch under the bonnet, and an observer in the cockpit, will reveal the many holes, and gearbox cover sealing kits are available.

TRy it! It's (relatively) cheap and it works!

John

Well that told me... :ph34r: but to be fair I have also just fitted a new Revington’s split gearbox cover with new seals and grommets (The fit is excellent) ;)

Thanks for all the good advice

The torch is at the ready, all I need now is a torch holder (SWMBO may be persuaded, as it's for her comfort)

Silver underlay is 2nd line of defence

Good stuff . . . . . . . thanks

Simon

1975 car - grid not a flap, unfortunately

Hi John,

I can only add my endorsement in term of a quality gearbox cover, correct fastenings and clamps together with a new seal bonded to the cover. I fitted a moulded plastic cover from Moss which fitted well after some 'fettling'. The fastenings and clamps were a challenge to fit properly especially around the bell housing. Any inspection covers obviously need to be a good fit and properly sealed. I also spent time ensuring the gear lever seal was securely fastened to the cover which is another area where heat and fumes can escape.

The finished result was a significant improvement although still warm on a hot day! I hope these thoughts may be of some use to you.

Regards, Peter

after having a GT6 the TR6 is quite cold on a hot summers day... :)

With the GT6 the I found that it was very important to make sure all the seals between the engine and the inside of the car are in good condition, any small hole and it was amazing how much heat got thru..... and insulate and seal the gearbox cover. Today I did notice lots o heat coming thru particularly when the electric fan started to run. All that heat from the radiator has to go somewhere....

At least in the UK you know the hot weather will not last very long.

cheers

mike

Is there not a cold air eyeball vent in the footwell you can open in your 6?

I thought there was, unless deleted for the later models.

Jerry

I'm a bit sceptical about the use of underfloor cushion material. It seems to have high thermal conductivity to allow for use with underfloor heating so wouldn't be effective as a heat barrier in a TR. The sound deadening properties look useful though and price seems reasonable even for the thicker gold variety. Now I'm confident that my rebuild is watertight I might look at this.

My thanks to those of you who agree with my position, and sympathy for those who don't.

Elsewhere in Triumphland, I've been surprised how attached people are to insulation as THE cure.

John

Not for everybody I know, but the louvres in my bonnet do a stirling job of getting the heat out from my engine bay. I suppose the V8 produces quite a bit more heat (two extra cylinders and exhausts) than the standard engine but it's never overheated even in the hottest weather and as long as the vent flap is closed, doesn't get unbearably hot in the cabin. I am always aware of the possibility and use the manual fan override if I ever get stuck in traffic.

Getting the heat out of the engine bay seems to be the key to not forcing it through every nook and cranny in the bulkhead.

JMHO

Simon

For the insulation of the gearbox cover and other panels, I recommend to not consider only the isolation of the interior side (Inside of the car) but also of the exterior side (the side facing the heat of the engine, gearbox, exhaust..).

It is always more efficient to start the insulation upstream and close to the source.

Regards

At the risk of teaching Grandma........... Are you sure that the heater valve is turning off fiully, the theory that a puny bit of wire can push the valve closed is put severely to the test on these cars. Open the bonnet and return the valve by hand.

Cheers

Allan

Insulation is all very good.

However, my '72 TR6 does not suffer from excess heat in the foot well.

Like Allan posted, check your heater valve- that it is closed.

As per attached photo, this is the full 'max defrost open' position, check it out on your bella machina.

post-13442-0-42220600-1435844659_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sapphire72

All

It's noted that the complaint was made on one of the hottest days of the year.

My own SWMBO would give her eye teeth for more heat around her footwell during those Autumn to Spring runs. Comments such as "...she should think herself lucky..." were heard to emanate from my dear wife.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to avoid any "stray" heat if matrimonial harmony is desired in the more usual UK weather conditions.

Dave McD

As the heater valve can never be relied upon to close completely, I have placed a 15mm plumbing isolator in the pipe run from the valve to the bulkhead. When that isolator is turned 90 degrees, there is no flow whatsoever to the heater.

Every little helps!

Ian Cornish

Hi John,

First time I went to Le Mans it was 40 degrees and long queues. My 6 got so hot I had to put the heater ON to bring the engine temp down and then edge along with the doors open :wacko:. Amusingly when I later walked up and down the queues I noticed all the 6's driving along with doors slightly open - suggests not an isolated problem! The eyeball vents do little or nothing at low speed to cool the cabin down.

Second time I went, (and sat in hot queues again) I had fitted a Kenlowe and thankfully did not need to have the heater on or the doors open 'cause it cut in and kept everything cooler. It does push the hot air towards the cabin - but it distributes before it is a problem - and the footwells stay cooler. Be interesting if anyone else has found an aftermarket fan to help?

Incidentally plenty of people can't see the point of an aftermarket fan for normal UK use - and they are right to some extent - I can't remember the last time the Kenlowe actually cut in while driving in the UK! :ph34r: I guess it all depends what sort of use you will be putting the car to.

Regards,

Michael.