I am very loosely thinking about a hard top for the winter, although the car came with a brand new Mohair hood and I had a stowage bag fitted.

In the 60's we had a Sunbeam Alpine with a removable hardtop, which we could put on and off in minutes, no hood though.

Do the TR6 aftermarket hardtops remove and replace easily, or is it a permanent fixture?

Fitted a factory hardtop to mine last autumn. Forget trying to fit it around a folded soft top - it's 40 minutes to remove the soft top and frame and bolt on the hardtop.

The factory hardtop is no flimsy affair and is a 2 man (and/or wife) job to fit. Can't say it makes the car any more rigid compared to the no roof option as it tends to squeak in unison with the rest of the bodywork. It does make the car completely weatherproof (make sure all the seals are ok), gives you a usable amount of space behind the seats and all-round visibility is excellent.

The soft top will be re-fitted as soon as 1/ summer arrives, and 2/ when i've had time to make a hardtop stand!

An interesting observation is how much more attention the car seems to get with the hard top on - a 6's lines seem just as pleasing with it.

I am very loosely thinking about a hard top for the winter, although the car came with a brand new Mohair hood and I had a stowage bag fitted.

In the 60's we had a Sunbeam Alpine with a removable hardtop, which we could put on and off in minutes, no hood though.

Do the TR6 aftermarket hardtops remove and replace easily, or is it a permanent fixture?

So you didnt get the original hardtop that came with your car then.

Stuart.

OAF939M-1_zpsqvaulman.jpg

25-OAF939M_zpsnl3mtn64.jpg

Edited by stuart

cmdr19

I must completely agree with your assessment of the factory hardtops. Big, heavy; man and wife job,. Great when driving, unbelievable visability, quiet, plenty of space etc. I use mine 2 times a year, late winter early spring and then again Autumn and early Winter.

Hard top looks good all year round. It's a bit different. (Mine sitting at the Sparsholt Village Fete last Saturday where the organisers had "invited" the cars for the benefit/interest of the attendees.

Had a lot if interest from people in a certain "age range" :)

Hard top TR6s are pretty rare.

post-12494-0-14765900-1435409539_thumb.jpg

post-12494-0-38320400-1435409851_thumb.jpg

So can I buy a factory hardtop, and if so where?

OAF looks a sad old car back then,not sure I wanted to see those. pics.

So can I buy a factory hardtop, and if so where?

OAF looks a sad old car back then,not sure I wanted to see those. pics.

They do pop up on E bay quite a bit in various states of whatever. Some prices are optimistic. Rust will be the biggest hurdle but don't get hung up on missing bits of chrome. 21st century provides self adhesive (shock, horror) replacements on a roll which look just as good and won't rust.

Glass is hard to come by but the seals, headliner, mounting bolts are all available. Brackets for the 'B'post aren't available but they're hardly difficult for a metal shop to fabricate.

Happy hunting.

Mike

I have just brought a hard top for mine (more by accident than part of a plan), its very solid, no rust, and has a very nice Webasto sunroof in it. But it does need a re spray and a new liner.

I need to replace the soft top and thought I could use this through the winter, if I could work out how to post pictures I will post some pics.

Out of interest whats the going price for hard tops, don't see them around very often.

cheers

mike

Hi forum members

Just found a original factory hardtop, that needs repaint, seals ..

What are the expected price range?

And yes it does rain a lot in the winter down here and love to use the TR as day commuting

Thank you

Hi forum members

Just found a original factory hardtop, that needs repaint, seals ..

What are the expected price range?

And yes it does rain a lot in the winter down here and love to use the TR as day commuting

Thank you

Hi tr6tuga,

Do not know the market price, but to give you an idea I brought one 2 years ago in France for 450€ (asked price 650€). A factory HT in very good condition in terms of structure and with most of the accessories (Chromes, Brackets, mounting bolts, glaces…). Need to change de headliner and the various seals, plus a new paint.

Regards

Tr6tuga,

For 330€, go for it without hesitation… HT is something you will really enjoy if you start to take the habit to install it during the winter and enjoy whatever the weather instead of looking for the “good” day to enjoy the car with the soft top down.

In the ’90 I enjoyed few trips to the alps, with the TR6 with the HT and the shi rack… I let you imagine the journey from Paris/France and the arrival in Val Thorens (nearly at 2300 m Alt.) around mid night with the snow all over and on the road. I shall never forget….

Regards