Has anybody found any 16 or 17" alloys for a TR6?

Tyres in those sizes are much more readily available than the standard 15's

kc

15" tyres are readily available so whats the point. Panasport in the US do 16" but then your into a lot lower section tyres with the associated transmission of road noise/feel. Fine on a modern but they are far more insulated from the road than a TR is.

Stuart.

Thanks for that Stuart, I understand the road noise, bounciness etc

I think that going up a size to 16's should not make that much difference and generally the slighter larger alloys look more pleasing to the eye

Niall, I have contacted Image will let you know how I get on

kc

I have one TR6 with 6x15 and one with 7x16.

The difference is quite small referring to the driving comfort.

They both have Bilstein telescopic dampers with same setup

and riding comfort of both now is very good and similar.

They both run on Dunlop Fast Response.

I run Vredstein original size tyres on standard steel rims and they feel good and handling is spot on, the car was already poly bushed and gas shocks when I bought it.

I asked the previous owner who has a garage and restores cars about fitting larger wheels.

His reply was it that they were built to take the loading of that size tyre ,not larger tyres with more grip.

I have done a sprint in it and was quite a surprised at how well it went, got another coming up next month.

This previous owner should give up the garage.

It would be very, very dangerous if a suspension would have been constructed

on the spot to withstand the forces of a small wheel.

If you think of TC and other race classes where Triumphs not only race with wider wheels

but also with rubber mixtures with much more grip you will admit that can not be true.

The real reason to fit wider tires is first they look good, second they are much cheaper

and third are much better in rain and the fourth and last reason is that it provides

that extra safety you might need to stop for an obstacle you would otherwise hit or

can make the corner that was probably misjudged before.

The intention of us is mostly not from that changing point to race the old car and bring

it evey day to the limit. So the suspension is not under much more load although it would

not do any harm. Again I can say that from my experience, driving for 20 years on 245/60 14 and

since those Pirellis are no longer on the market swapped to 215/55 16 with no fail on suspension.

Edited by TriumphV8