On the rack or in the bag

A recent thread in the TR5/250 section regarding Gross Laden Weight started me thinking. Alec pointed out the dangers of exceeding the weight limit (with reference to insurance pay outs) and noted that for a TR5 there's only 192kgs (just over 30 stone) available for the driver, passenger, luggage and spares.

With the IWE approaching, I'm calculating weights and how to carry items. Not much problem with the wife and I, as we only amount to about 20 stone together, and our luggage and spares will not send us over the limit. However, I'd like to keep the overall weight as low as possible anyway and for carrying tent, sleeping bag, airbed, etc., I need a rack or one of the boot bags as offered in the TRR-Shop.

I'm torn between a rack and a bag. A rack looks great, but if I go down that route I wouldn't want one where I need to drill holes to fit it (as I know the sort of disaster that would end in). Are some of the racks available fitted without the need of drilling? Downside of rack seems to be extra weight, so perhaps the boot bag (although not so nice looking) is the way to go. Pros and cons if any?

Darren

Hi Darren,

I spotted through your itinerary -

one tent (two or more man tent),

airbed (probably a double size (nice),

and a (singular) sleeping bag. Now who is that for !!! :wub:

Have a look inside the engine bay - you can get half a boot load in there. Tent, ground sheet, bags of breakfast cereal, torches, spanners.

Remove the baffle panel for the fuel tank in the boot and there is enough space to hide a dozen flying cats or other things.

Roger

Go for the Rack and Bag,Bag on Rack with Bungie Cords so to take Bag of quickly then one can lift Boot without it being laden and damaging the Hinges.

The best Rack I've seen for a 5 is the type that's mounted to the Hinges and 2 fixings down to the Numberplate Bolts,put the Heave stuff in the Boot,Lighter stuff in the Bag and on the Rack.

Darren, see you have a Surrey,

You will be amazed what fits behind the seats etc.

I would try a dry run before you buy anything, if you still need something,

Then I am with Niall, every time.

John

Niall ,the boot bags release without having to open the boot and therefore no strain on hinges. I have a boot bag and use it on my wife's car, which is an advantage if you want to use it on a non TR or lend it to a pal as I have.

"Inside the engine bay", Roger? Are you kidding me on? Is it really possible to carry anything there?

Probably best to do a dry run before I buy, as you suggest John, just to see what I can cram into the current space available. I can see the two camping chairs being the biggest problem. I've already started my list of things to take (I love making lists).

I think that with the boot bag Niall comes a rubber mate that sits on the boot to stop the bag moving about and to protect the paintwork, but I'm not so sure that I like the idea of that. Do you know the make of the rack that doesn't require drilling Niall? Then, of course, there's the cost. Racks seem pretty expensive.

Still not sure which to go for.

Darren

P.S. Roger, wife goes in the sleeping bag ;)

I manage a good couple of weeks away in my 4a with just the boot and behind the seats full up. Thats tent/sleeping bag/airbed/dog bedroll/pillow/dog food/clothes/wet weather gear and as that includes going to International then I also have my lead loading kit with me as well. Removing the tank board does help but if you have a Lucas pump equipped car be careful of packing too much around it. I would never put anything in the engine compartment as I think thats dangerous.I do have a slight advantage of being able to fill the passenger footwell as Albert curls up on the seat! Surrey equipped cars do have a bit more room behind the seats but unless you have a good pair of door/wing mirrors and are used to driving on them alone then dont obscure the interior mirror view.I do also have the advantage of a different rear suspension that is heavily uprated.

Stuart.

The boot bag brand bag comes with a non-slip mat that goes between the bag and the boot lid. I have never had a problem with grit getting underneath it although starting with a clean boot lid makes sense. The bag also needs to be packed sensibly as anything sharp and heavy like a TR6 block would not be a good candidate for packing in a boot bag.

I liked the boot bag option because I only need it for one week a year for our annual trip to Stowe, VT in September.

My TR6 is the spokesmodel for the boot bag on the TR Register merchandise site

http://www.tr-registershop.co.uk/tr-accessories-15-c.asp

Stan

Hi Darren

I struggled with the boot bag on the boot lid. Wasn't happy with potential rubbing of the securing straps in the wind. I did one long trip with it and didn't suffer any damage, but I wasn't confident that it would stay that way. So after many months of contemplating whether I really wanted to drill the dreaded holes in the boot lid. I went ahead and fitted a boot rack. (MX5 S/S one - £150). Have to say, well pleased and relieved. The boot bag now goes on the boot rack. For the carrying of spares. I use - the inside of the spare wheel - Use a garden plastic siv - fitted with carpet on the inside so nothing falls out. Amazing what you can fit inside and you can lift it out with all the spares held in place. For example, amongst those items I have a complete clutch assembly, water pipes, fuel pipes, cables etc etc.Then I made up 3 small triangle shaped open boxes to fit in the 3 corners around the spare wheel including a bit of flat timber to put the scissor jack on in the event of a puncture and soft ground. Bulbs, injectors, warning triangle, 1st aid kit, etc etc etc.Then a few items on top of each wheel arch behind the fuel tank panel - then lastly a few gaskets on the front of the fuel tank behind the back panel. Tools in a soft bag on one side of the boot. make a list of where you put your spares. Hopefully you will never need them. Then the rest of the car can be used for all your luggage and tents etc.

Hope that helps

Best Bill

Darren do not contemplate the type of boot rack that is not drilled, either via the boot hinges, as mine is,

Or drilled through the boot lid.

Types that only clamp on the side of the lid, in theory temporary ones, damage the paintwork on the boot lid edge, and I had one, that when loaded slipped down the boot lid to sit on the rear bumper, waste of time, honestly.

Lots of thought on what to stuff where, I have left a sleeping bag under, passengers legs, front of the seat, was actually very comfy! And my better half won,t do not comfy!

John.

Hi we have boot rack, can get two folding chairs, folding table, 5 man tent(like the space) two airbeds and a suitcase. The only issue is it can be fun getting at a tool kit by the side of a French motorway.

Mark