Hi

I have had a light clunk occasionally at the rear so I thought I would investigate this last night.

My findings are: - Front offside pin with a weld repair and solid. Rear nearside pin with a weld repair and solid. Checked the other 2 pins and both are solid. So that’s good news so far.

The rear nearside bush looks like someone has cut the old damaged bottom part of the bush off and just pushed another part on instead of replacing the bushes; they are metalastic so I assume they are pretty old. The front bushes look in very good condition but I have not taken them or the diff out to check.

So new bushes are required.

Question is: - What type of bushes do you suggest?

I have read many posts and some say don’t use rubber on this don’t use poly there, so I am a bit confused on the best result for road use on a standard car.

Kev, its personal. Poly will no doubt outlast the rubber, had both can't really say I noticed any difference. If your pins are sound then they should stand up to the harsher treatment of the Poly's. Given you have to drop the diff, easy, getting it back up there isn't so easy, I'd plan to change all of them including the front ones so it will hopefully be last time you need to drop diff. Good luck.

Hi Kev

I changed over to all poly on my last 6 and regretted it, significantly more noise transmitted to the cockpit.

Present car, ex racetorations, had poly front and std rubber at the rear.

So when refurbishing the rear last year I went with the same combo.

Steve

Hi Kev

I changed my diff last year and fitted the new one with solid poly bushes at the front and standard rubber bushes at the rear, I did this because when I removed the old diff the front rubber mounts which were about 10 years old [approx. 40000m] were absolutely mashed, no wonder there was a clunk! surprisingly the rear ones weren't too bad.

I'm now thinking of trying the hollow poly bushes on the front as there has been an increase in harshness at certain road speeds and throttle positions. The mounting pins were reinforced previously, I don't think I'd try polly bushes if this hasn't been done.

The diff is very much easier to handle if you make a small cradle out of wood to fit on top of a jack saddle.

Regards

Ron

Many Thanks Robin, Steve and Ron for your valuable advice.

I've decided to replace just the rears with rubber at the moment as I now intend to refurbish the diff and drive shafts this winter and don't fancy taking the diff out twice.

Hi Kev.

I think you'll need to drop the diff to replace the rears, or maybe they can come out without dropping I can't quite recall.

If you do drop the diff then I recommend the "non solid' front polybushes, mine are yellow.

I've read that the rear rubber ones vary in quality, genuine 'metalastic' don't seem to be found easily?

Steve

Hi Kev.

I think you'll need to drop the diff to replace the rears, or maybe they can come out without dropping I can't quite recall.

If you do drop the diff then I recommend the "non solid' front polybushes, mine are yellow.

I've read that the rear rubber ones vary in quality, genuine 'metalastic' don't seem to be found easily?

Steve

Hi Steve

Cheers for the recommendations, re non solid poly's for the front.

I ordered some rear rubber ones from Moss, so will have to see what they are like when they arrive.

I managed to get the old rears out without dropping the diff, a bit fiddly but I’m hoping they will go back in easier with new lock nuts. One nut was a bit seized but I managed to remove it with mole grips.