Slipping something

Hi all,

A few days ago, quite suddenly my car developed, what I assumed was a slipping clutch. Occurring in each and every forward gear and reverse with a real grinding noise like something metallic was broken inside.

I have spent all afternoon removing the gearbox to have a look and on inspection I can't see much wrong with my clutch. Nothing has disintegrated and I can't work out what would have caused the slip or the noise!

My fears are that I have a gearbox / overdrive fault, overdrive solenoid was clicking in but overdrive hasn't been engaging.

My question is this, is there anything else that may cause slipping effect other than the clutch?

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

if the clutch assembly looks OK - nothing broken or heated/melted etc then the next area is indeed the OD.

There is a clutch inside the OD and eventually this can wear out.

Sounds like it needs to go away and be repaired.

What is the GB like - noisy/leaky etc consider a repair/rebuild at the same time.

Roger

Gary,

My car seemed ok but if slowly creeping forward using clutch made a loud metallic grating noise, a normal moving off was OK. Many miles later developed a slight vibration above 50mph.

It was one of the propshaft UJ's breaking up. Looked long and hard at the propshaft from under the car but could see nothing amiss, once off the car easy to see the problem. Perhaps worthwhile checking yours if the gearbox is out.

Alan

Hi All

I decided to remove the overdrive unit and dismantle it to find out exactly what had happened.

On inspection I found that the Uni-directional Clutch had absolutely disintegrated causing damage to the Carrier Assembly, Annulus and Clutch.

I am now hoping to source and fit these parts myself but I have concerns as to what may have caused the failure in the first place.

My suspicion is that I have had an engaged overdrive whilst reversing. (but the overdrive has not worked since I bought the car a few weeks back !)

Am I correct in assuming that this failure is probably a result of forcing the Uni-Directional clutch in the wrong direction?

Would anyone have, or know where I might get my hands on, a Uni-Directional Clutch, Carrier Assembly, Clutch Assembly & Annulus for an A-Type unit?

Also what would you recommend I use to clean the inside of the gearbox with before reassembling?

Regards

Gary

There should be a switch on the gearbox housing that inhibits overdrive in any gear except 3rd and 4th.

If that was missing when you bought the car, then you could engage O/d in any gear, includung reverse. Not, as you say, a good idea.

This is a copy of the official manual on the A-type, but refers to the TR2 and previous models! http://www.triumphtr.com/a_type_overdrive_manual.pdf

Finn Thorden deals with them right up to TR6s : http://www.thorden.dk/Teknik/A%20Type%20Overdrive.pdf

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Hi Gary,

Sorry, but with that much damage you'd be better off getting your whole O/D reconditioned by Overdrive Repair Services (with that much damage there may well be a surcharge), and at the same time check very carefully the end of the gearbox mainshaft for damage where the uni-directional clutch locates.

Engaged while reversing is what breaks UDC's, and there'll be broken bits floating around getting where they shouldn't.

White spirit (the painters stuff) is good and cheap for flushing out the casing, then dry with an airline.

When it all goes back together make sure that all the inhibitor switches are working as they should (depending on model you'll have overdrive on 2nd,3rd and 4th or 3rd and 4th)

Cheers Rob