Technical Editors

No idea, nothing to do with me

Maybe they are being upgraded to a new colour???

Things are obviously a changing Neil, relax and let's see what occurs

Tom

It seems to have been pretty quiet around here recently, with not much word from Alec or Roger for that matter. Thought they might have been off on hols, or perhaps in the trenches battling for the freedom of the forum!

Yours truly has indeed been away from the Wiltshire environs . . . . . the V8 Lady and I spent a most enjoyable week in Umbria as guests of Tom Fremont and family. A region of Italy which I've only ever driven through, and that was back in the 70s, I hadn't realised what a wonderful region it is - we were staying twixt Narni and Terni, just off the Via Flaminia, for the benefit of those who know the area better than I. Many thanks to Tom, Emanuela and Sophia for their boundless hospitality. TRchaeology taken into another dimension, we spent many happy hours rooting around Roman ruins . . . . .

Nothing mysterious about my no longer being 'in blue'.

I chose to withdraw from the 'technical team' some time ago, simple as that. I had hoped that the technical side of the club would have evolved rapidly under the new management scheme of things, and I was happy to assist that process, if the opportunity arose. Unfortunately that technical evolution has not happened, at least not from where I'm sitting, and the 'technical team' seems to be something of a notional concept rather than a practical reality. I couldn't see any merit in remaining as part of a 'technical team' when I found myself agreeing to differ with the Technical Director in some significant matters of opinion.

No problem, I don't need a title to lend a hand when the need arises.

Cheers

Alec

I am beginning to wonder if a Tech Archive - if one is planned - is going to be as useful a I once thought. Regular forum users will have spotted that quite common faults reappear as new queries quite often. One was posted when a thread on the identical topic was still live, but towards the bottom of the same page. I had assumed that forum readers read most posts about their TR and so use the forum to accumulate knowledge in depth. But I'm not so sure that is the way of solving problems these days. It may be that many users now see the forum not as a font of information to be retained cerebrally but as a sort of Google-live. Providing enough contributers to the forum respond with answers then a reference library , however searchable, might be seen as a poor subsitute for TRoogling on the forum with a live TR'er.

Peter.

I am beginning to wonder if a Tech Archive - if one is planned - is going to be as useful a I once thought. Regular forum users will have spotted that quite common faults reappear as new queries quite often. One was posted when a thread on the identical topic was still live, but towards the bottom of the same page. I had assumed that forum readers read most posts about their TR and so use the forum to accumulate knowledge in depth. But I'm not so sure that is the way of solving problems these days. It may be that many users now see the forum not as a font of information to be retained cerebrally but as a sort of Google-live. Providing enough contributers to the forum respond with answers then a reference library , however searchable, might be seen as a poor subsitute for TRoogling on the forum with a live TR'er.

Peter.

I agree with Peter, and once again I would point out that the technicalities cd (already an existing technical archive) contains answers to nearly all the basic questions. Seems like it is easier to jump on the keyboard and rely on others.

Ian

Which is fine, all part of the communiTRy spirit..............until in the back of beyond the TR misbehaves.

I am reminded of a biologist, pre-Google days, who told his students the object of his course was not to Xerox research articles but to Neurox them.

Peter

I'm very interested in a technical archive of original source material -- whether that be S-T, Lucas, Smiths, Girling, Dunlop, etc... That's what I think of when "Register Archives" come up.

Collected wisdom of the forum for newbies? Not a chance that'll work, IMO -- people will still want a customized answer to their unique question (unique in their minds, at least), the Google Live analogy, as you say, Peter.

Please remember most Tr's are far from std today, the parts are different and you will not find the answers in the handbooks.Also the archive.

Most TRs are far from standard? Maybe. Mine? Nope. Probably 90% of the parts that came with TSF202L from Coventry are still there, Neil, and the ones that have been replaced are almost always period originals. My recored radiator doesn't have a crank hole, which I guess is one of the few nonstandard modifications.

But I wouldn't look to the kind of archives I have in mind for answers to day-to-day questions. I find the original publications useful and interesting for the history of the marque.

Yes, I run unleaded. Hardened valve seats are in that 10% not original category, as are EtOH tolerant pump diaphragm and hoses. 'Course, any S-T publication talking about R&R, tuning, adjustment, etc. around those parts would be as applicable now as back then, and the Big Red Book is a useful volume in my TR library.

I'm running a cogged (wide) fan belt these days, although the original style is my onboard spare. H4 headlight bulbs, too, although I have the old Atlas sealed beams the car had when I got it.

Speaking of headlamps, if I had an archive document guiding me through all the different lighting regulations TRs were configured to meet back in the 1950s-60s, it would be truly interesting. I've read the Lucas parts references, and it's complex and not really informative. I'd be delighted to discover archive mateial that helped me understand that bit of esoterica.

Edited by Don H.

The point of my post is simple,we are all enthusiast and help each other, chaps like Stuart and Alec give free advise ( be grateful ) I look forward when the so called experts answer owners questions on here with no personal gain.Rant over.

Agreed, Neil -- the generous advice of folks like Stuart and Alec is most welcome. My thread derail into a vintage archive is a completely different track.

I look forward when the so called experts answer owners questions on here with no personal gain.Rant over.

Hmmm

I must have missed something.

Guy

Edit worked it out and Totaly agree with you on that one.

Edited by Jersey Royal

Peter, et al, I suspect your post is aimed at the likes of me.

Sorry but get off your feckin high horse.
Firstly, as a relative (no let me admit it, compared to you a total feckin) idiot without degrees in metallurgy or (spelling) or whatever, when you dont know what the problem is, its often hard to search precisely; and even if you do, the obvious answer isnt always there. You will be amazed how many threads do not conclude with an obvious answer - Peter, why don't you go and finish them all off with a definitive answer because I guess there is only one answer to any problem.
Secondly, TBH the search facility is not great, too many irrelevant responses.
The tehnicalities CD is applauded as a resource, but it is articles that 'may’ relate, but often do not.
If you are tired of stupid questions from stupid novices - just ignore them - keep your knowledge and eventually die with it safe in your head.
Wayne, please set up a 'Celeberal' section where people can post not questions but ‘papers on how clever they are compared to others.
Alternatively, maybe insist that all idiots post a wrong answer to their question first ( I do try that), then they can be shot down in flames by the almighty who know best.
If only I had time to do hours of research whilst running a business.
To you helpful guys - thanks.
To those of you pissed off with sharing, please set up your own ‘high table’ away from the riff raff, but still feel free to come by at IWE and snipe at what I did wrong.
ps - I do have a degree, but one not engineering based
… and there was me thinking that we came to the forum for advice and support
… on this basis, I guess I need to come off the community forums where I assist people who need advice and instead just post “FXXX you stupid, go and read the blaaady blaady bla Act, its hidden in there in a sub section revised 15 times in the last 5 years called XXXXXX’ …. …or of course you can pay me £350/hour for the privilege of listening to my feckin wisdom you feckin oik"

A lot of good points there, and thankfully a Yorkshireman is rarely backwards in coming forward. Especially at the wicket, Boycott excepted of course.

Stupid questions come only from those who ought to know better, not from newbies and novices. It takes years to get your head round TR foibles, decades more like, and there aren't many experts around - OK, some who'd like to think they are, but not so many of the real thing. Yours truly has been around TRs a long time, but that doesn't make me any sort of TR eggspert - just someone who knows a fair bit of the history, and a modest amount about the foibles.

The Technicalities CD is useful, on occasion, but it sure as heck isn't the be-all and end-all of TR lore. Just another tool in the box. The Forum search facility is also useful, on occasion, but it's pretty damn limited as tools go, about as sophisticated as the proverbial Irish Screwdriver . . . . . keep your hair on Niall, we'll sort it out at The Stockman's ! :D

To be fair, there are a few enquirers who simply can't be arsed to even try and do their own homework - but that's the exception, not the rule. Far more folks around who do their best to use the search system and find it wanting . . . . . and if it's any consolation, I've been around since the start of the Forum, and I don't find the search facility much cop either.

One thing is for sure - the number of emails I receive from novices who are nervous of asking their question on Forum in case they look silly, and don't wish to be shot down in flames. I don't suppose that will diminish, just because I'm no longer flagged up with a title !! :lol::P

Don't worry about it Austin, allowances will be made for wrong side of The Pennines . . . . after all, there's a boundary that runs from the Mersey to the Humber, south of that is at least three stages less civilised, as we know from residing therein . . . . . ;)

Cheers

Alec

Whenever I post a question I'm always acutely aware that somewhere on the forum, after its thirteen years in existence, it would have been tackled before, no doubt many, many times. I'm sure it's pretty much true of every TR related subject that is discussed here, no matter who originates the thread. Also, I always do a search before asking, but as has been said above the search facility isn't the best, and quite often I don't even know if I'm asking the correct question, let alone know what the correct answer would look like, so direct guidance is invaluable. And, good as I'm sure the Technicalities CD is, it's still no substitute for discussion. Isn't open discussion what the forum is all about? As I've said elsewhere, I think it can often be very difficult for those with knowledge of a subject to comprehend how something they feel is simple can be so difficult for others.

My lack of knowledge and my respect for people who do know their stuff means that I always appreciate the kindness and good grace of those that take the time and effort to offer an answer and help. I've only ever had experience of one other forum (not car related) and it was dreadful. Even the so-called moderators were dismissive of novice questions. After that experience, I didn't hold out a lot of hope when I joined this forum, so I have been surprised and delighted at how (on the whole) accepting and encouraging the more knowledgeable members have been. But, here's the thing, nobody ever has to provide an answer. If anyone feels that a question is stupid or irrelevant, or has been covered too often, then they should just ignore it. It does no harm.

As I said in a recent post, people of my generation and younger are less likely than older generations to have had experience repairing and maintaining their cars continuously from a young age. Before I bought the TR the last time I worked on a car was in the mid-80s and that was only very basic stuff. Therefore, if as a community we wish to encourage younger people in, we must welcome people of all abilities and if they are keen to learn offer them help. On top of that, I think it's important to recognise that many younger people are far more used to getting instant information these days and so may not search out information as well as they probably should, so if we want these people then to some extent we have to cater for them in a more instant way.

I do believe that a structured Tech Archive would be a great thing, but not better than a live forum such as the one we have. For me, the greatest value in the forum is not in the questions I've had answered, but in being able to just immerse myself in TR speak. As an example, I recently watched the Wheeler Dealers TR6 episode and found myself shouting at the box - "No, you don't want to use that waterless coolant, it's flammable", and "Why change it to an unleaded head?" Seems that I've picked up some knowledge!

Many of us have been very vocal recently in our arguments to keep the forum open to non-TRR members. Isn't that because we believe in its value for encouraging new members, whatever their background and ability? Like the majority of forum members, I take far more from the information exchange than I can give, but I try to give something back in offering answers to the more simple recurring questions where I can.

Darren

P.S. Welcome back Alec. Sounds like you had a great time.

I dont regard any questions from newbies as stupid and answer them in a style that proffers understanding. Professionally I assumed the audience is keen to learn ! But if tech comprehension is not wanted then I'll cease and desist. The point is, if the majority of TR owners dont want to build an understanding of their machines then a Tech Archive will be waste of everyone's time and effort. However searchable it might be made. Because the owners will not know how to construct the correct search string to come up with answers.

I dont see lot of point is assembling a tech archive that is not going to used much.

Peter

And what a rant.....

Rather unnecessary too Neil.

I shall leave it there so I keep the peace....

Alec, your correct, don't need a special colour to help fellow members ????

Keep smiling chaps and carry on enjoying the TR Register and the forum

Tom

The point of my post is simple,we are all enthusiast and help each other, chaps like Stuart and Alec give free advise ( be grateful ) I look forward when the so called experts answer owners questions on here with no personal gain.Rant over.

I've said it before, but, given the extreme opposites being voice here, will say it again;

The willingness of many on this forum, to share their hard won knowledge with us, the novices, the daft, the forgetful or just plain inexperienced, is a rarity in this commercial world.

We should be doing all we can to record, in a sensible, coherent way, all the advice given, so that it becomes a resource that members can utilise as needed.

Easier said than done, I know.

Someone else should do it, I know that as well, but, if everyone expects someone to do it, no one will.

I do not have any real knowledge of the vagaries of the type, beyond suck, squeeze, bang, blow, but, as a '6' owner, am prepared to offer my time to help, where I can, to bring the resource into being.

I don't know what I could do, but, as a retired Engineer, could have time to spreadsheet / record / type, the wisdom of others

It would be a disaster if Peter, Alec, Neil and their like decided to take their ball home.