TR4 Fuel filter

Hi there, possibly a silly question but it is linked to the action I took as a result of comments made about a possible fuel starvation issue. I drained the fuel tank and found some large flat pieces (10p size) of loose solder (see solder debate) plush some rubber bits, and then used slosh tank sealant (umm fun). Also replaced fuel lines to be ethanol resistant and changed the post-pump in-line fuel filter.

All works fine although I have not yet made a longer trip, but I did notice that the fuel level in my fuel filter drops right down when she runs at normal operating temp – ¾ full when cool but a dribble when hot. This has not yet affected the running and the filter fills back up as the engine cools back down.

Is this normal? Will the carbs pull through what they need? I wonder because I might need to replace the fuel pump/diaphragm if not usual. There might be some physics explanation but I had imagined it staying at teh same level - more demand but also more pumping equaling out.

Many thanks.

The carburettors don't pull.

The pump sucks fuel into the filter bowl and then the pump pushes the fuel along the line to the float chambers, where the valves in the float chambers control the flow.

Sounds perfectly normal behaviour and, as you state, the car is running well.

It wouldn't hurt to check the gauze filter which sits above the filter bowl - make sure it's clean - and get rid of any muck in the bottom of the filter bowl.

Ian Cornish