Fuel smell when not running

I posted in 12 May regarding fuel problems and with your help, sorted it out with a fuel clean out and lately fitted a new mechanical pump.

The car ran beautifully from then on. However it has not been run for the last three weeks during which time we have been experiencing a slight smell of petrol. Never had it before. No leaks anywhere and could not determine where exactly the smell.

Just taken dash pots of both carbs and the jets and surrounding area are wet with petrol. Photos don't show it so well.

Why should it be doing this please.

Vic

post-11182-0-87585200-1434296541_thumb.jpg

post-11182-0-01576800-1434296571_thumb.jpg

Hello Stuart, thanks for your advice. I reset the float needles and gave the car a good run. Left it for a few days and still getting the fuel smell with fuel weeping up the jets.

Never had it before fitting new corks, rubbers etc in 19 years. Could it be something to do with that? Although all is correctly fitted!

Cheers Vic

What corks/rubbers have you replaced and have you fitted new float valves?

Stuart.

Thanks Pete, Stuart.

After problem in previous post re engine starved of fuel En route to a rally, I changed float needles, re corked and gaskets. In fact renewed all working parts in both carbs. They are H6. Fuel is seeping up the jets, not excessive but it leaves a residual smell which filters into the house as the garage is underneath. Not a massive smell more like a tinge? Oh also fitted new fuel pump.

Fuel will always find its own level and cant really travel uphill so your float levels must still be too high.

Stuart.

Mine has a feint smell of fuel when it's been laid up for a while, and as per Stef's comment my fuel tank is very slightly porous.

Moss supply an alloy tank, which I think I will get around to fitting as most steel tanks must be going the same way. Not sure if you can obtain a new steel tank?

Regards

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all thanks for suggestions and ideas, I still cannot smell fuel anywhere around the other than after a run but it soon clears. The smell is dissipating over time or we are getting used to it. I have reset the filler pipes which were at a jaunty angle but couldn't smell fuel. Maybe a tank would be a good investment.

Check one of the floats is not holed. Also if a needle valve is leaking after garaging this will stop when fuel in pipe higher than carb is used up and smell will slowly disperse. If it was tank or feed pipes before pump then smell would remain while there is fuel on tank.

Chris

Edited by potts4a
  • 1 month later...

Sorry taken so long to update but tried all your suggestions including running fuel low to remove tank again. While doing so I found the breather pipe which is virtually a banjo which attaches to the top of the tank via a a hollow bolt and extends below the chassis was not only kinked and closed off but the bolt has a shoulder which locates the banjo (ok so far?) I had not seated the bolt onto the tank. Since fastened and pipe redone with a few runs. No residue fuel smell. Lesson learned. Double check. Funny though that that there was no smell in that area.

............ Lesson learned. Double check. Funny though that that there was no smell in that area.

Possible explanation:

Fumes are heavier than air so will sink to ground level, spread out and get wafted around according to drafts etc in garage and dissipating. If you put your head down low you will find them sooner and where you bending down.....?

Mike

Following Mike's note, always exercise care in a pit and best not to use a naked flame down there as fuel vapour can lie in the bottom and cause an explosion.

If in doubt, use an electric fan to ventilate the pit.

Ian Cornish