A clarification on the extractors and exhaust systems

Hi guys!

At the moment i'm making a list of items to order, and the exhaust/manifold bit is up next.

As i have a '66 4A, i'd like to keep the current setup of two pipes at the back - just love the looks - HOWEVER - which to go with?

I've been to the TR Shop recently, and Lucas was more than kind to take me to their storage and show me all the stuff they have.

Extractors:

- Phoenix 4into1 - brilliantly made, fantastic welds, looks great, but quite a big bore pipes.

- Triumph Tune (not sure where it was made, but looked rather suspicious with its near chrome finish) 4into2. - looks a bit Chinese and the welds don't seem all that nice - overall it doesn't give the quality feel of the Phoenix manifold.

Exhausts:

- Phoenix - takes 1 big pipe from the manifold into a Y pipe to separate it into 2 paths with a box at each end (apparently there's an option to fit an adaptor to the stock manifold and use just their exhaust. It looks fantastically built and maybe even too blingy.

- Double S - Standard twin exhaust, but With the front box (which i'd like to remove for the sake of sound and not warming the floor :) )

looks well built, not close to the Phoenix, but a much smaller diameter pipe.

Now - the engine i have is stock at the moment. It will have some minor tweaks in the near future (narrow belt conversion, alternator, electric fan, removed pcv valve and a oil catch tank) and perhaps some more tweaking later on (87 or 89mm pistons, slight porting of the head, high torque cam) - My question is, would it make sense to fit Phoenix system, as i'm afraid that it might be too big a bore for the engine i have (even with the mods planned) - or am i just fine with it? It's quite a bit more expensive than the Triumph Tune/Double S system, but it seems like money well spent, only in case that it isn't an overkill and won't reduce the performance by slowing the gasses - rather than improving it.

OR - keep the stock manifold and only do the exhaust?

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Luka

Edited by Bulatovic

Hi Luka,

Sounds like you are facing all of the difficult decisions I have been through.

Many schools of thought.

I eneded up going with a Pheonix manifold with a Triumph tune back end Y piece into the twin boxes.

The pipe that joins these 2 different systems together has to be hand made. You could get conversion tubes that step down to the Triumph Tune but I think it looks messy.

I also had the Pheonix Manifold treated with a heat treatment called Ceramakrome.

I also did the outlet manifold for the carbs too. Not just for heat but to match the finishes.

If you watch the Tyres video "Part 16" on my homepage you can see the manifolds etc.

Also, there is plenty of other videos that show the engine etc with info.

http://tr4a.weebly.com

Hope it helps.

I elected not to go with the narrow pulley kit. I have moved over to the alternator conversion that looks like the original dynamo though.

My engine has a fast road cam, it has been ported and the pistons are 89s.

Best.

Paul.

PS: The TR Shop is the cheapest place to buy the Pheonix manifold. £299.

OH, and one last thing. If you do decide to fit the Pheonix manifold, the fit is not so great against the outlet manifold and you will have to grind a bit of the outlet manifold to make it fit. I spent a while grinding very slowly but it fits like a glove now and looks really cool:-)

If you decide to go for a heat coating do the grinding first:-)

Edited by TR4A1965

Hello Luka, I have been through the same, in the end I kept the 4A exhaust manifold as I was told it was a good design and fitted the Phoenix with a cross box, I also coated the exhaust manifold with a ceramic coating called Zircotec, all looks well and sounds even better, cheers, Andrew

If i could only get them from the States to this piece of crapland i live in... That Abarth exhaust really does look cool! Can't imagine the sound!

I think i'll stick with the stock manifold and add phoenix exhaust - from TR Shop. I've spoken to a friend who has a really mean TR6 (triple webers, wild cam, diabolical CR, lightened everything, and so on) and he has experienced quite a bit of noise increase when switching from stock to falcon stainless steel extractors (he mentioned some 30% increase). Since i'll be using the car for cruises around the country rather than track days, and won't go wild with engine mods i guess i won't need the Phoenix 4-1 manifold - the engine won't be sitting at 4,000+ rpm where i'd need a big bore fancy manifold...

Shall i expect a nicer sound but not overly loud with the stock manifold + phoenix dual box exhaust? That what i'm after anyway! :)

Cheers!

Luka

I recall having two twin pipe silencers on my 4A back in 1970. They looked great, very like the Abarth ones but came from PECO, a company based somewhere in the Liverpool area. They gave a great exhaust note but unfortunately there was a reverberation period at about 3,000 rpm so the set up was far from ideal cruising on a motorway around the legal limit in o/d top. Today, on the same car I have a Phoenix extractor manifold and straight through big bore pipe with single silencer. The Phoenix manifold also needed slight fettling to allow the inlet manifold to fit but this was simple enough and I am very happy with the set up.

Tim