Big bum syndrome

All

I have to replace the drivers side seat diaphragm this weekend, the original having split clean in 2 on the A12 at 70mph!

Is there anything I need to know, or is it as straight forward as I hope, based on the diagrams I have seen on the internet?

Strange . . . My wife suggested a similar course of action, but, having lost 24lb in the last 6 months, I think I have done my bit in that regard.

As the diaphragm is original, I think it is fair to suggest that the age of the diaphragm was a factor in the failure

mine split and the replacement split shortly afterwards due to inferior rubber (thats what i am telling myself).

they are straight forward to replace but it is physically quite a grunt. IIRC i used needle nosed visegrips and a spare clip to pull the last few clips into position.

have a good breakfast and do some stretches before you start this! once you have got it done, your workout will be complete and you will have lost 2-3 lbs in sweat!

Edited by charlie74

Thanks Charlie

Sounds like a plan

I have sourced thecreplacemdnt from Rimmers . . . . not the cheapest, but, not prohibitively expensive either, so, I hope that I have done the right thing.

I am pretty sure that I will have to do the seat foam on both seats at the end of the year, so this will allow me to take a look at what I can expect with that job.

Feeling quite pleased with myself this evening

Decided to remove the seat, ready to have a go at replacing the diaphragm tomorrow

Thought that, whilst I was at it, I would strip out the old diaphragm.

This had been glued to the cushion foam at each link. Luckily, the adhesive was old and came away with a bit of persuasion, doing minimal damage to the foam.

Then, seeing as this had only taken 30 minutes, I thought I would just start installing the new diaphragm.

Charlie was right, using a range of pliars and grips, it was a real tussle. Then I had a rare lightbulb moment and made the tool in the pictures from an old screwdriver I had not used in ages.

From then on, easy. It would have been better with a slightly larger screwdriver, but, including the time spent making the screwdriver mods the job took less than 2 hours from seat out to seat in.

Edited by wjgco