Is this Battery or starter or something else

Hi Forum Members

Hoping you can offer help and ideas for my most resent problem.

Battery won’t turn starter motor over, and does seem to discharge when left over a week . Had battery checked by my local battery man ( only sells batteries and know what he’s about) result battery passed tests.

Noticed today that the volts drop with only the ignition turned on and no attempt to start car. When I did try it would not turn over.

Connected one of those battery jump starters and it turned over and started.

Questions –

1. could the fault be my bomb starter having a short to earth, would this give the drop in volts when I just turn the ignition on.?
  2. has my battery man got it wrong and I do have a bad battery?
  3. should I start checking for something else

thanks in advance for any pointers

Alexander

Whilst your battery might be good, is it the right size. If too small it may not have the amp/hours to start your car.

Re the discharging....sounds like you could have more than one fault.

The battery will not discharge through the starter motor....you must have something giving a current draw when everthing is switched off.

I should disconnect the battery and connect a multimeter set on ohms across the battery leads with everthing switched off....if you get a reading then there is a permanent discharge...you will then need to find where it is...modern radio....clock...alarm....tracker...etc.

I used to run a bomb starter on my 3a.......tr2 flywheel......it was sluggish.....changed to a modern high torque jobby.......one of the best mods I did.

Dick

Check that you have good connections between battery & solenoid, solenoid & starter motor, battery & body, body & chassis, & chassis & engine.

Any one of these being high resistance will cause problems.

P.S. my "Bomb" starter motor spins the engine over just fine.

Bob.

Agree with Bob on checking connections. Also check charging circuit if that hasn't already been done. A very poorly charged battery will often start the vehicle but will discharge quickly. Begin testing with a fully charged battery. Finally, it is normal to show a voltage drop when you turn the ignition on. However, you should have little or no voltage drop with the ignition off.

Tom

Standard TR starters need a very good battery, I just replaced the battery in my 3e after about 6 years and almost not used. Normal acid batteries are degenerating quickly.

After some cranking feel the main connection, if they are hot, you have a bad contact.

If the jump battery works, then it must be either the battery not up to it, or battery terminals being fauly or corroded.

Mike

If the jump cables were clipped onto the battery terminals - yes, but what if the earth clip were placed say direct to the engine, I sometimes do this if it's more convenient.

Bob.

Thanks everyone for your advice and ideas, I worked through most of them this last weekend with no change to the problem. So today I took the battery to another garage and guess what the thing failed the load test. So much for my first battery man. New battery fitted tonight car starts fine with no loss of charge.

Another one to put down to experience.

Alexander