Alloy wheel refinishing

Guest Bilbo

Guest Bilbo
I have 5 original shape TR7 alloys. 4 in plain silver (seems togher than just paint) and 1 with a battleship grey sort of backgound and clear coat mostly chipped off. They are all in need of a tidy up. Should I just brush on silver? Get them powder coated? Respray at home with 2 pack? Suggestions on removing the old finish and what to put on much appreciated.
Hi Bilbo (not Mr Baggins perchance?) and welcome to the Forum.    Get them bead or grit blasted (or a few thou skimmed off to regain diamond cut appearance, if hard edged 'spokes' rather than minilite type rounded spokes).   Then either painted where appropriate and lacquered, or just lacquered.   Powder coat coating can come off in quite big pieces when tyres or clip-on type weights are fitted - anyone found a way around this.

I had mine beadblasted and then my very kind neighbour who just happens to teach motor vehicle body repairs at the college painted them with Rover blue-silver cellulose. The magic formula was the etch primer apparently which is necessary to stop the alluminium oxidising.

They look just the job!

Dave :cool: