Fuel pressure gauge

Hi Everyone.

Hope all is well in TR land, I've had a few Fuel related issues lately and was wondering if anyone has a Fuel pressure gauge in the cab.

I realise 100+psi in the cab is a bad idea but there are electronic ones available.

Cheers Mark

There was someone on the ferry on the way home from classic lemans last year who had one.

Tim

I have a take off T piece where metering unit joins petrol pipe. The gauge can be put on taken off in seconds so can be used for fault diagnosis and removed readily.I can dig out spec if needed, gauge and pipework and T connector in total about £150 from memory. The gauge isn't one that you mount permanently but can be located anywhere for you to see. Been very useful on more than one occasion.

I have a "Glow Shift" gauge: http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/fuel-pressure-gauges.aspx?sitelink=LeftNav

I use the digital one, as that reads a tiny bit higher (102psi) but they have analogues as well.

T-piece under the bonnet; permanent flexible (Aeroquip) connection to a sender unit that is a little too big and heavy to sit on the fuel line, so is on a bracket on the bulkhead.

Two wire lead from sender to gauge, 12V supply to gauge. Simples!

John

I have one on my TR6.

I have fitted a T peice on the fuel line going into the MU. I used an adapter (1/4BSP) and fitted a 4-20mA 10bar (150 psi) loop powered pressure transducer to the T peice, this feeds a simple loop powered digital gauge that sits in the car. The gauge and transducer are designed to work on 24V but will work fine down to 8V. Very simple arrangement 12V to transducer, single cable from transducer to gauge and the one cable from gauge to gound.

If interested I will take some pictures and details of the components.

The most expensive bit was the pressure transducer and the rest was mostly skip finds. At work we have gone thru a major lab refurbishment and a lot of old redundent equipment and stuff was throw away..... :)

regards

mike

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Defi-Red-Racer-Pressure-Gauge-Imperial-52mm-140-PSI

Reads up to 1`40psi, but a LOT more expensive than the4 GlowShift jobbie, and of course if you don't have access to a lab's recycling skips!

http://www.maperformance.com/prosport-52mm-fuel-pressure-gauge-w-sender-blue-white.html

This is more like it! 110psi and cheaper than a GlowShift!

John

Hi John.

That second one is perfect, wonder how long they would take and import duty I expect.

I'll give them a go I think, shame there's nobody in the UK.

Thanks for that Mark

If you wanted a temporary gauge there is a post somewhere on here that details a gauge setup using components rom RS components. From memory it was less than £60. Delivers next day as well.

Cheers

Tim

Mark, Andy

"Looking on Fleabay has anyone used one of these ? any positives or negatives????"

Yep, I have one of these and it's OK

Lets face it, for the price, you are not getting top notch, but, it allowed me to show that;

- my compression across the engine was good

- every cylinder was well within 10% of the mid point

The only down side I found was that it really needs 2 people, one in the car and one at the gauge, but, in our house, that's what the big son is for

Edited by wjgco

John

thanks for your feedback but i was enquiring as to whether anybody had used one of these for PI Fuel Pressure test ? 100+ PSI and if so how did it perform ?

I also have used something similar for compression testing but my question was connected to fuel pressure testing.

Andy

I purchased a fuel pressure guage from Hydrotech with the rest of the kit, "T" piece, hose etc. They were very helpful when I called. It works well.Give them a call, I am sure they will help.

http://www.hydrotechnik.co.uk

Regards,

Peter

Andy,

The OP, marki, wanted a fuel pressure gauge on the dashboard, without a high pressure fuel line pointing straight in his face.

Yours is an excellent test gauge, but not a monitoring gauge.

Peter,

Please tell us in more detail what you bought from Hydrotechnik? Searching their site for "Fuel pressure gauge" gets nothing specific, see: http://www.hydrotechnik.co.uk/catalog/test-equipment/sensors-transducers.

John

John, give them a call and they will sort it for you. I will have a look at mine and see if there is a model no on it. I purchased a Minimest "T" with a suitable hose and 150 psi gauge. The cost was approx £75 delivered.

Peter