Handbrake cable - IRS cars

I note that one of our suppliers is listing the original metal sheathed hanbrake cable as NLA with a plastic sheathed item replacing it.

Thinking it's probably time I replaced mine as handbrake operation has become increasingly variable and I'm pretty sure the original 40 year old cables are still in situ.

Pros, Cons, recent experience anyone?

Cheers,

Jerry.

Been fitting them for a while, no prob at all, they are whats known as "German market" ones, they are better as the sheathing keeps any road grit and water out out.

Stuart.

Hi

I Agree with Stuart on this as these cables seem to be much longer lived.

A good tip is to fill them with thick oil before fitting as this helps keep them free inside.

Regards

Tony

Hi

I Agree with Stuart on this as these cables seem to be much longer lived.

A good tip is to fill them with thick oil before fitting as this helps keep them free inside.

Regards

Tony

Whoopee :D

Thanks chaps for all your comments.

riverstar, I didn't make an exhaustive search but Rimmers show the alternative, plastic ones. I don't know if the other suppliers I looked at stock the plastic ones under the original part number, or if the metal sheath version is still available. BTW, is 'growing big marrows' an interest or a euphemism?

Jerry

Which supplier is stocking them

Moss and TR Shop for definite, presumably the rest of the usual suspects are as well.

Stuart.