Fuel consumption.

Out of curiosity, what mpg do members cars return?

Went out today to give the car a bit of a run now that the new bosch fuel pump has been (thanks once again to Mike G) fitted, and had a 45 mile journey home.

With a bit of a light foot on the gas pedal the car returned 29.333 mpg, which pleased me somewhat.

How does that compare?

I can get about 27 on a full motorway run, yesterday I did 295km for 36 litres or around 24 on some very spirited back road driving

Happy with that

Graze

Just back from 2100 miles in the TR touring Provence and can say that the fuel consumption varied from about 32mpg on autoroutes at 70'ish down to (or is that up to?) 24mpg negotiating narrow twisting roads up and down the mountains (and the gearbox). Having said that, much of the driving was along 'normal' roads at holiday speeds of 35-45 mph. With a pretty mixed selection of roads throughout the 3 weeks, the car averaged 29mpg. Not sure if it would make much difference, but only about 350 miles of the tour was with the hood up (because it rained in north France on the first day).

PJM has overdrive and was using 98octane all the time (although some of it came from Lidls). Incidentally, the exchange rate is quite favourable such that all of the petrol I bought, even on autoroutes, was cheaper than in the UK.

Can't wait to go back and do it all again . . . . .

Edited by Alfrom

Aha, Peter, but from our point of observation you car hasn't moved at all and yet no doubt there has been a steady loss of fuel from the tank by evaporation. So you economy figures are awful.

past 3 trips to Le Mans 2's up with all the camping gear around 70 - 80 mph 30 mpg :lol: this can be confirmed by another Register member who was running on webber,s He was surprised too ;)

I rarely bother to check my fuel consumption. But recently I did a reasonable journey (150 mile round trip) and filled up before leaving and again when I got home.I was delighted to get 30.5mpg. It was mostly high speed motowray with overdrive but better than i expected from a old PI car.

Bruce

30 mpg is very good, The long stoke engine has not been designed to be operated below that. Depending on my driving style my 6 does 23 to 29.

In the 70th it never did more than 23 mpg, but without o/d.

On my last trip ( 500 kms almost all Motorway ) the car did 29mpg. Checking the plugs at home they were all medium brown and clean.. :rolleyes:

My 6 has done 1752 million miles at an average speed of 66000 mph and hasn't used a drop.

But so has the garage.

OK, not totally accurate, but makes the point.

Never checked my fuel consumption, I just know that after about 200mph I ought to fill up.

Darren

P.S. Seeing John's pictures has got me agitated. Surely the activity in picture 1 is going to leave a couple of greasy marks on the paintwork :rolleyes:

Edited by TR5tar

OK, not totally accurate, but makes the point.

Never checked my fuel consumption, I just know that after about 200mph I ought to fill up.

Darren

P.S. Seeing John's pictures has got me agitated. Surely the activity in picture 1 is going to leave a couple of greasy marks on the paintwork :rolleyes:

At 200mph fuel consumption is the last thing on your mind :)

At 200mph fuel consumption is the last thing on your mind :)

Whoops, well spotted Kiwican, my mistake. That should have course been "210mph" ;)

Edited by TR5tar

Hi, I have a 1969 CP PI TR6, and on a few long runs of mixed A road and motorway driving I typically get 28-29mpg. This is with top down. So this seems to tally with what others are saying.

Only mods are elec-ign, K&N filter and twin exhaust. Rest is std as far as I know...cheers. j.