metering unit seized

My metering unit has seized and rather than shear the plastic drive dog it has sheared the end of the drive in the dizzy pedestal.

Is the drive still available (item 102 in the Moss book - marked up "call for price" !!) ? Or would a good second hand part be a better option?

Your thoughts

Gavin

These come up periodically on EBay.

Tim

Chris Witor says out of stock but worth a call; Revington and TRBitz usually a good source of this kind of thing but at a price inevitably.

+2 for Neil, had the same problem 2 years ago - broken gear on metering unit drive shaft.

Problem was caused by "rotor lock" - hot day and engine this caused fuel to vaporise, leaving rotor in dry state (metering unit was original with 65,00 mls)

upon starting, rotor sticks to chamber wall briefly - this locks the drive gear and then breaks the drive gear (distributor shaft is turning - this turns the metering unit drive shaft) possibly due to age of steel drive gear (work hardened with age and heat / oil from engine).

I know that the red plastic drive dog should break before the steel drive does, but as noted above - the age / condition of the steel drive shaft has a bearing on the ability to withstand the sudden forces it faces when subjected to the rotor lock problem.

Neil gave me a tip about trying to avoid another problem happening again, which is to cut a slot 1/4 way into each side of the red plastic drive dog with a junior hacksaw, this should then break first if another rotor lock was to happen

Pat

Any idea Gavin on what was the case of the seizure?

Richard.

I will have to let Neil shed some light on that. Car was going like a train until I got marooned at set of traffic lights. AA man was old enough to have worked on TR's in the past but said he couldn't find any frozen peas ready for the fuel pump!

Gavin