Headlight improvement

Can't seem to find anything using the search function...However...

I want/need to upgrade my headlights. Can anyone recommend a conversion they have carried out (HID etc) and if it made a difference in the real world of driving down country lanes etc

I guess they'll never be as good as modern cars, but to be frank, anything less dangerous that what I have would be good!

Simon

I looked at these reading the Bumpf they LOOK good but SO expensive http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RB7082BPLED

I want/need to upgrade my headlights. Can anyone recommend a conversion they have carried out (HID etc) and if it made a difference in the real world of driving down country lanes etc

I guess they'll never be as good as modern cars, but to be frank, anything less dangerous that what I have would be good!

Simon

Simon

Hi Simon

This company is really good no connection just a satisfied customer who does a lot of Classic Car Lighting, www.bettercarlighting.co.uk The conversion is amazing & the inner ones are the same with both dip & main beam.

Cheers

Mike. B)

Edited by mike3739

This company is really good no connection just a satisfied customer who does a lot of Classic Car Lighting, www.bettercarlighting.co.uk

Looks like they have a really good selection of warm white LEDs -- much better than most. I'd not heard of them before. Thanks, Mike

Edited by Don H.

I recommend a pair of Cibie Iode units, now made under the Valeo brand with part number 082441 (no side light). I have these on my 4A, they give an excellent spread on dip with good illumination on the near side and sharp cut off, noticeably better than the Wipac Quadoptics I had previously fitted. Use in conjunction with uprated H4 bulbs - Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited, Philips X-treme Vision and Ring Xenon Ultima are all excellent and give a reach on main beam more than adequate for driving on unlit country roads at legal speeds. If you do not have relays at present wire one each into the main and dip beam circuits. Use a heavier grade wire (28/.012 with 17.5A rating) to relay terminals 30 and 87. This will both greatly reduce the current through your lighting switch, improving its life expectancy and deliver more volts to the headlights for more brightness.

All the above will dramatically improve your night driving experience, I am sure you will not be disappointed, and all at a fraction of the cost of the Rimmers "truck" light solution.

Tim

Thanks gents,

help much appreciated, guess I need to start spending some money!

Simon

Hi Simon

Have a look at Moss - their accessories catalogue. I bought the xenon headlight kit some 2-3 years ago - I think about £170 - Really got fed up with not being able to see properly on a wet/windy night down country lanes. Damm right dangerous.. So I plunged for these - have to say really very very good and they are made in UK by HID ? I had to contact HID over an issue regarding one of the bulbs and they couldn't have been more helpful. The bulbs are £28 each !!, but since changing this one bulb (they sent a replacement free of charge which was found to be faulty) - I've had no issues at all. Just be sure to wire it up correctly..

best Bill

Hi Simon,

you do not need to spend a fortune.

If you already have units that accept the standard H4 bulb then all you need is to fit decent Xenon bulbs

Pete and Tim give some very good examples.

Tim's cibie lenses may give that bit extra.

I use Halfords super duper xenon H4 and they work very well = £20/pair

The LED lamps are expensive and possibly not worth the effort.

The HID lamps are illegal on our cars.

Roger

I have 100W halogen bulbs in my driver which is plenty, albeit legal for offroad use only. Original wiring doesn't seem to mind, though the skinnier stuff in the repro harnesses just might.

Fact is the prospect of hitting a deer at night discourages me from driving the TRs then except on highways where it makes little difference due to traffic.

Cheers,

Tom

I have 55/60W H4s on my car, in modern Lucas lens/reflectors, and they're fine for my driving, even with the car still using a generator.

There are a lot of folks going to LED replacements for halogen H4s over here now, something I've been reluctant to try. I love well-controlled light and I'm not convinced an LED emitter will work as well as the hooded tungsten filament. Here's one type being used by some over here in the land of no MOT.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/UPGRADE-NEW-1x-2014-Just-Plug-Play-CREE-LED-H4-H4-3-HB2-9003-30W-3000LM/32219472835.html

I too have new cibie iodes with super duper h4 bulbs, they're pretty good and a simple fit.

Total cost was about £100.

I do actually like the look of the led replacements, they're fitted to, and often nicked from, posh versions of the Land Rover defender.

Couldn't justify the cost myself though.

Steve

I have 55/60W H4s on my car, in modern Lucas lens/reflectors, and they're fine for my driving, even with the car still using a generator.

There are a lot of folks going to LED replacements for halogen H4s over here now, something I've been reluctant to try. I love well-controlled light and I'm not convinced an LED emitter will work as well as the hooded tungsten filament. Here's one type being used by some over here in the land of no MOT.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/UPGRADE-NEW-1x-2014-Just-Plug-Play-CREE-LED-H4-H4-3-HB2-9003-30W-3000LM/32219472835.html

They're fan cooled! Amazing.

Edit: googling around I found this, no fans needed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151561945965?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=838045413620&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F710-53481-19255-0%252F1%253Ftype%253D4%2526campid%253D5336491544%2526toolid%253D10001%2526afsrc%253D1%2526customid%253Dskim1044X509854Xc76b9dca34459f9a9a6da82fd1cf4096%2526mpre%253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%25252Fitm%25252F151561945965%25253F_trksid%25253Dp2059210.m2749.l2649%252526ssPageName%25253DSTRK%2525253AMEBIDX%2525253AIT%2526srcrot%253D710-53481-19255-0%2526rvr_id%253D838045413620

Edited by peejay4A

Simon

I now use clear landrover disco h4 light units, made of abs. These are superb. I then fit either 55w or 80w (not road legal) PIAA bulbs as these are the best available. More than 80w gives no advantage as the wiring just gets hot and no more light. 55w is fine. Total cost about £120.

Regards

Tony

Dear All,

I agree with Tim Hunt's solution Cibie always were the best round headlight units. I my view as well, better than Wipac or Lucas H4 replacements! Cibies also give more distance on main beam as well

Another point it is very important that the lighting circuit is fully fused and has relays. The light switches then, only are used to switch the relays (very low current needed) as this circuit is very much subject to electrical fires, as 2 of our members in our group have found out @ £1500 + repair bill! The wire that I used was PVC Thinwall 28/0.30mm, 2mm/sq. rated at 25 amps.

Bruce.

Hi,

I am soon to fit H4 LED lights.

I just need to add a three pole timer connector and they will be up and running.

Compared them to H4 halogen and the low beam cut off looked fine. Much brighter than the 55Watt HID lamps they will replace.

I don't like the warm up time of the HID's. The LED's have a much faster switch on time, ideal for flashing.

Will hopefully last longer than ye old filament lamps.

Cheers,

Iain.

Edit: Relay hot required as only 30Watt a lamp. Doing my bit for the environment.

Edited by SpitFireSIX

Hi,

I am soon to fit H4 LED lights.

I just need to add a three pole timer connector and they will be up and running.

Compared them to H4 halogen and the low beam cut off looked fine. Much brighter than the 55Watt HID lamps they will replace.

I don't like the warm up time of the HID's. The LED's have a much faster switch on time, ideal for flashing.

Will hopefully last longer than ye old filament lamps.

Cheers,

Iain.

Edit: Relay hot required as only 30Watt a lamp. Doing my bit for the environment.

Would be very interested the hear how they compare to HID or normal bulbs, please let us know

Simon

I have put Xenons in my saloon. Lots of light. I had to run them off the battery via a relay to stop the switch from melting. I was suprised how easy and how cheap it was.

Simon

If you want a cheap option these look pretty good http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Car-7-Sealed-Beam-Halogen-Conversion-Headlights-Ford-Triumph-Austin-/251817957031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make%3ATriumph%7CModel%3ATR+6&hash=item3aa18516a7 I fitted similar units 6 or 7 years ago and am very pleased with their performance, very big improvement over sealed beams.

I also rewired the headlights via relays, used the circuit diagram from http://www.advanceautowire.com/

Cheers

Bill

Edited by wheeler