My old pal Martin Jay (Distributor Doctor) asked me recently for my thoughts on tyres for his TR3.

It is back on the road after a rebuild that took rather more years than anticipated - Martin founding Distributor Doctor was one good reason, the chaps rebuilding the body was another, and not so good, reason . . . . eventually Martin and yours truly liberated the car and it went to Stuart in Cornwall for a proper job . . . . .

Meanwhile, the costly classic tyres purchased more than a few years back seemed to be possessed of more tread than grip. Old problem, on a limited classic mileage the tyres will go hard and lose grip long before they have run out of tread . . . . And although Martin is the original old school, press-on, sideways merchant, he was expressing concern at the skittish behaviour even on dry roads. This is a well set-up car, Revington suspension with all the right bits on, built for handling speed rather than ride comfort. Only the tyres let it down.

The TR3 runs 72 spoke wires, 5.5 x 15, so I recommended 165/80 and forget anything wider.

So he mused about Michelins and Pirellis and the cost thereof, and maybe Vredestein Sprint Classic as a budget option. XAS and Cinturatos alike were little more than a pipedream, rebuilding distributors affords a reasonable living but doesn't run to rich men's tyres. My budget suggestions were greeted with mirth and the McEnroe response. Jay questions whether Pringle's judgement is failing with age, etc etc . . . . . Well no, not quite, opinions offered from first hand experience of trying these options on classic roadsters.

So, looking at a tyre at under £40, just under £252 for a set of five tyres, with inner tubes, delivered . . . . . well no, you might not take me seriously either. Especially as the tyre is designed for modern urban budget cars, not classics. But Martin and I have known each other a long time, if the tyres proved inadequate he'd be expecting me to buy them off him !!

As promised, tyres arrived 'next day'. After a quick inspect, MJ pronounces himself more optimistic . . . . after fitting and running-in he's sounding even happier, then after inflicting some serious pedal to the metal it's " yes we've done another 200 miles , I haven't yet been able to unstick the tyres ! "

Now that does impress me, I've driven with Martin, he does not hang about, he loves the sound of tortured rubber, smoking even better.

Vredestein T-Trac 2, from the good chaps at Camskill. 165/80 x 15, T speed rating, £39.85 plus delivery.

For a 4-pot TR that's good value in my book, and I'll be taking up Martin's offer to " see if you can unstick the beggars " in a couple of weeks' time.

Usual disclaimers, I've bought tyres mail order from Camskill, decent folks to deal with, I'm just a customer !

Cheers

Alec

+1

The very tyres I recommended some years ago - Bought from 'My Tyres' in Europe - Delivered to UK for 40 pounds a pop.

Stick well in all conditions I choose to drive in and so far I have not exited the road backwards as I had done on other tyres.

Peter W

Thanks for the info, Alec.

I found these available in Canada, delivered for C$1500 + 12% tax + fitting etc. Approx £800. :angry:

The search continues.

Graeme

Graeme - I've bought a fair number of Vredestein's here in Canada and, although I don't remember exact prices off the top of my head, I thought they were pretty reasonable.

PM me and I'll track down where I sourced them from.

Alec,

I realised when looking at the website that they are only T rated, but as you point out stupid money. I will wait for Tim's source or otherwise it will 195/65 profile tyres again.

Cheers

Graeme

I've been recommending T-Tracs to anyone that will listen since I fitted mine 3 years ago. 15,000 miles on they are still excellent in wet, dry and snow! Unfortunately it seems many people place more store on the appearance of 'classic' tread patterns than usability and value for money. Haven't come across anyone with a bad word for T-Tracs - ideal tyres for drivers rather than posers and polishers (running for cover right now!)

Hi Brian,

You are not the only one to recommend T-Tracs, but I have had no luck in finding them here in Canada. :blink:

Cheers

Graeme

• 2 months later...

Following the recommendations above, I bought 5 x T Trac 2's today, for less than £38 each.

I've been looking around but although quite a few people will supply they will not ship to the Isle of Man.

Today I found JungleTyres via Amazon, and they are shipping them to me for £20 total. So for just over £200 I get the tyres I want delivered to my local garage for fitting.

Fantastic! (assuming they turn up sometime soon).

No connection with Jungle, but they were the only ones I could find who would ship to me. This is ridiculous because the major couriers, UPS etc, as well as Royal mail, will deliver just as normal in the UK.

Cheers

Dave

====

• 2 weeks later...

While I was searching for the tyres, I contacted the UK office of Vredestein and got this message a few days ago:-

"However due to the unprecedented high demand for the 165/80 R 15 87 T T-Trac 2 I am afraid we are waiting for further stock. This article will go back into production and will be available again approximately 3rd week September."

So if you are struggling to get any, this might be the reason. (Mine are nicely fitted now).

Dave

-====