TR6 with DL on commision plate?

Have found a car with a Cp plate number

CP25286DL O

I know the O is overdrive but what is the DL? Is it left hand drive?

Car is a 69 royal blue original car? At dealer in Bucks.

Any info on the above would be greatly appreciated as you could well be saving my Daughters inheritance. ????

Apparently general commission number for saloon De Luxe...

Lots of TR6 in our records with DL stamped on the commission plate. Presumably a mistake by the company / person stamping up the plates and as noted by Mike and Robin designates a saloon. The build record will provide the correct suffix.

cheers

Derek

Back in the day the anomalies, inconsistencies and paradoxes of BL numbering (not just Triumph, please note) used to lead to some interesting speculations at the dealer end . . . .

Was it a Monday car, or a Friday car, for example ? Did the superfluous suffix (occasionally even prefix) indicate a car that might hopefully pass PDI first time (some hope!) ? Or was it one of the real De Luxe versions, as in every damn thing worked (dream on!) . . . . . ?

Don't worry about it . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Very Interesting thanks for the feedback. Dealer is saying Deluxe because it has wire wheels and wing mirrors?

CP: 25286 DL O

Engine: 25565 HE

Reg: XML711G

This I think would make it an early car?

If any one knows any more info on this particular vehicle, that would be a great help.

Lots of TR6 in our records with DL stamped on the commission plate. Presumably a mistake by the company / person stamping up the plates and as noted by Mike and Robin designates a saloon. The build record will provide the correct suffix.

cheers

Derek

Back in the day the anomalies, inconsistencies and paradoxes of BL numbering (not just Triumph, please note) used to lead to some interesting speculations at the dealer end . . . .

Was it a Monday car, or a Friday car, for example ? Did the superfluous suffix (occasionally even prefix) indicate a car that might hopefully pass PDI first time (some hope!) ? Or was it one of the real De Luxe versions, as in every damn thing worked (dream on!) . . . . . ?

Don't worry about it . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Derek, Alec

Anomalies didn't just happen at the factory, even the DVLA made mistakes (yes, shock, horror! :D) - the clerk who wrote out Saffy's original log book must have been down the pub at lunchtime; engine capacity 2489cc and the engine number should be CP 51958 not 55958..........and it's still on the V5C having gone unnoticed for nearly 45 years!

Thank goodness for Heritage Certificates!

1622068_10202415013511858_45666562189256

Cheers

Andrew

My old 1969 TR6 (now residing in France) had the comm. number CP25616 DL. The DL bit should not have been there actually but its not worth bothering about.

Alan

Derek, Alec

Anomalies didn't just happen at the factory, even the DVLA made mistakes (yes, shock, horror! :D) - the clerk who wrote out Saffy's original log book must have been down the pub at lunchtime; engine capacity 2489cc and the engine number should be CP 51958 not 55958..........and it's still on the V5C having gone unnoticed for nearly 45 years!

Thank goodness for Heritage Certificates!

1622068_10202415013511858_45666562189256

Cheers

Andrew

Hi

Similar thing for my Car the original log book states engine No CP79936HE and it should be CP75936HE, I have letters from the PO (he had owned the car since 1977) to DVLA having it corrected for the V5C.

• 1 year later...

Any evidence that the car was LHD at manufacture?

My 3a has DL on the log book......I always thought it an admin error at vehicle registration.........very recently we have discovered if was built LHD removed from the production line,then went to the Competitions department and was converted to RHD. Perhaps DL is therefore Delete LHD?

Just a thought.

Iain

Very Interesting thanks for the feedback. Dealer is saying Deluxe because it has wire wheels and wing mirrors?

Rubbish! My early CP car came new with Optional Wire Wheels & Wing Mirrors...No DL on mine!

• 4 years later...

Hi I know this is replying 4 years to late but I bought XML711G from the original owner way back in 2010 ish . I bought the car with the original bill of sale . The car was the most original Tr6 I have ever seen never been welded painted just had service parts and tyres and had only 32k from new .

Edited by JasonAtr6