Beginners questions

Guest Bilbo

Guest Bilbo
My first question to the forum. My viscous fan got wobbly and noisy and I could not work out how to strip the mounting pulley and I am miles from anyone who knows anything about Triumphs (Alice Springs) so I took it off and refitted the air con fans that came loose with the car. They are very noisy and don't cool very well. If you think I should fit a proper electric fan - which one? If I should refit the engine driven one - how do I change the bearing in the pulley? 1980 TR7 DHC (without air con). TIA

You can just unbolt the whole viscous assembly with the four bolts into the block, and fit a shorter fan belt between the two remaining pulleys, this will also put less strain on the alternator bearing due to the increased contact area (providing it isn't over tightend  :;): ) but by your discription this sounds like what you've already done :D

As for a fan, pacet, kenlowe make good fans, or a ford scorpio single air con fan I found to be just the right height (£10 - scrappy), you just need to buy an adjustable thermostat from the likes of kenlowe etc. - or search ebay & fit it with suitible wiring.

I prefer brackets to mount the fan as the plastic mounts through the radiator we used caused the core to leak after a few thousand miles  :( aluminium is best as it saves painting ;)

Tom

The electric fans form the last 5 series BMW fit perfectly with a simple ally bracket and work very very well, remember to use a relay on the circuit.

I use mine in 40 celcius heat at queensland raceway on a v8 an it works perfectly.

Guest hornet racer
on the 2.0l oe radiator i used a common general motors electric fan. drilled my own holes and cut off the mounting tabs. only thing is you need a switch. i have no a/c, still the electric fan cools very well.