Hot Starting best method advice

Mike

Many thanks for the update, sounds like you have cracked it.

I am yet to check the fuel pressure at MU as have not got all the equipment organised, only recently got car back together after Diff refurbishment and Lubrication of all UJs + got Car MOT'd.

Can you advise on the following

1. Battery type you have fitted (amps)

2. I have heard the upgraded power cable for pump should be via relay, is this correct and if so how can i identify if i have one in place already as cannot find anything as of yet.

Andy

re the cable to the pump.

I have run a new wire directly from the battery via a new fuse holder to the pump. This goes thru a relay that is driven from the original wiring. So that the supply for the pump is all in new wiring and the relay is controlled by the existing system (fuel cut out etc). Not for the purist but works well.

Only problem is that the feed is independent of the amp meter so that shows a continual discharge of 10A. If I had wired it into the existing wiring (from the big connector on the wing) this would not have happened but I wanted it all in new cables and connector.

If you want a look we could meet up in Cambridge. PM me.

cheers

mike

Micheal

Would you be so kind and give me a few English lessons.

I have been in Munich so long I am forgetting all my English.

Hi chaps, this is very interesting. Where's the best place to fit a relay; under the bonnet,near the fuse box, or in the boot, next to the (Lucas in my case)pump? Many thanks, Paul.

Hi chaps, this is very interesting. Where's the best place to fit a relay; under the bonnet,near the fuse box, or in the boot, next to the (Lucas in my case)pump? Many thanks, Paul.

Hi Paul, I mounted mine near the overdrive relay/horn relay.

Hi Paul

I installed a new feed to the new pump and new earth from the pump all run via the relay

IMG_1099_zpsfpp3vjz8.jpg

This is where I fitted mine, I also sited a spare relay as well just incase one failed, ;) It is a quick switch over and your away :D.

I also fitted an inline fuse on the feed to the pump, just to give a little more protection.

Edited by Clarkey

That's excellent, thanks Kevo & Martin, that's what I had in mind; I've got my fan,horn,fog lamp & O/drive relays mounted there; just not as neat as Martins' installation ! Best wishes, Paul. (P.S. Kevo; I'm in Bournemouth.)

Edited by TR Paul

That's excellent, thanks Kevo & Martin, that's what I had in mind; I've got my fan,horn,fog lamp & O/drive relays mounted there; just not as neat as Martins' installation ! Best wishes, Paul. (P.S. Kevo; I'm in Bournemouth.)

Hi Paul

Should of noticed you were from Bournemouth, if you need any help etc. just let me know, always willing to help.

Brilliant, thanks Kevo. The same goes for me. Cheers, Paul.

All

Update on this weekends work on car to evaluate my hot starting problem

Readings taken

Ignition ON

Fuel Pressure = 94 PSI

Supply Volts at pump = 12.30 volts

Engine running

Fuel Pressure = 95 PSI

Volt Reading taken at Battery & Fuse supply for Pump = 14.4 volts

My battery

335 cold cranking amps

58 amps

Pump set up

Bosch pt no 0580254996 mounted in rear wheel arch fed by Lucas CAV filter into Lucas PRV

Feed wire has been changed but i cannot see any relate fitted and it has bypassed shut of valve

My Next stage is to change CAV filter and then adjust Pressure relief valve to increase fuel pressure to 106 PSI target.

What do you guys think ? i am going about this in the right order to diagnose problem.

Thanks in advance

Andy