Ladies & gentlemen of the forum.

A conundrum which, at first, appeared simple, but . . . . this is 1970's British motor engineering.

I removed and replaced the spark plugs; a run of the mill, 10 minute job, I thought!

Having done the job, I then;

Replaced the rotor & dizzy cap

Checked each HT lead to ensure they are all connected and tight

Checked LT wiring at dizzy and coil

Cleared tools from engine bay and did a final, visual check

Turned the ignition key . . . . no fuel pump!

What did I touch?

Checked the wiring again, all seems OK

Looked at the circuit diagram. Wipers and fuel pump appear to be on the same fuse. Ah ha, I thought, gotcha, the wipers are not working either, so, it must be the fuse.

But, fitting 4 brand new, fuses fresh from the packaging, made no difference.

(Lucas 4 fuse box)

Another look at the circuit diagram shows a voltage stabiliser in this circuit.

My question; could a duff VS be the problem, or is there a more devious gremlin, lurking in the electrics?

If it is the VS, where will I find it and what will it look like?

We plan a run out this weekend and would dearly like to be able to drive the old girl, if at all possible.

Edited by wjgco

Fuel pump cutout switch, did you knock it while clearing your tools?

Stuart.

Blimey Stuart

That sounds simple enough to be right

Where is the switch?

On the bulkhead next to the wiper motor Grey case with a button on the top. Press the button down.

Stuart.

Stuart

I asked because that was where I thought it should be, but, as you can see from the photo, the bracket is there, but no switch.

What there is, is what looks like an old, 25 amp inline fuse, which had blown.

I have fitted a new fuse, and everything works now, but I now need an inertial cut off switch and in fairly short order.

New question.

I have seen posts talking about using commercially available switches.

What would you recommend?

No comeback, I have learned to trust the advice of the sages of the furum, of which you are one

A switch that can be fitted using the existing 2 wires would be magic, but, safest is best, so I am minded to follow the advice of the forum irrespective

Sorry piccy is too big, I will try clearing my photo backlog

Edited by wjgco

OK

That makes sense.

Situation to date;

The fuse looked old;

- Discoloured glass (different to the light burn at one end, resulting from the blow)

- Dust and dirt on glass and metal ends

- No apparent 'warning signs', in my 12 months of owning the car, that there could be a problem with any part of the electrical system

- I had been working in the engine bay and placing tools in the area of the wiper motor

Most importantly, I am not an electrician. All that electrickery is like magic to me

If I need to investigate beyond checking connections, or wires for damage, the only tools I have are a 0 - 24v voltmeter, circa 1945 and a pair of Mk1 eyeballs, circa early 1950's

Question;

Any suggestions for things I can do / look at, to narrow down possibilities

The car is to make a visit to Manvers at the end of the month, so, if I cannot fit a switch before this, I will ask Clive to do it.

Fuses do get old, particularly if they're the wrong rating. I don't know if the wiring changed over time but on my '71 TR6 the fuel pump was not on a fused supply. Also, the pump should be independent of the wiper motor so something's not quite right.

Mark

Saw that one and am watching it thanks

Pete

The indicators and fuel pump are on the same fuse, but, like you, I have been musing about why the indicators stopped working, when the in line fuse replacing the inertia switch blew.

Electrickery . . . very strange

Mark

Very interested, I will PM

Judging by the wiring and the blue crimp earth on the wiper motor I would say that your electrics need a very serious looking at all the way through or more likely by now a new loom wouldnt go amiss, If the DPO has fitted wiring like that instead of doing a proper repair or replacement of the fuel cutout switch for one then what else has he done?. As Neil says I suspect the problem may lie elsewhere, what is in the picture is just the tip of the iceberg.

Stuart.

Stuart

Thanks

I am planning to get back to it later today.

I will change that earth wire and fit a switch

When she is at Manvers, I will ask them to look at what needs to be done to make the electrics standard & safe

You sometimes wonded whether some classics are an investment, or just another way of getting rid of cash.

It's a good thing I only have the car for the grin it gives me every time I drive it.

Very many thanks

If you can PM me with preferred method of payment, I will ensure it gets to you

Note

Manvers know what has been going on with the electrics and will do a full review of the system when she is with them.

I will report back with the results

Edited by wjgco

OK

Neil, Stuart

I am now head first in the passenger side footwell.

The red (& black) 'earth' which you see in the photo, linked to the wiper motor mounting bolt, is the earth for an auxilliary 12v socket, fitted passenger side, under the dash.

The wire on the other side of the socket is red and goes directly to the battery, via an inline fuse.

So, from my perspective, less of a worry than I initally thought.

I would still like to know why I lost indicators & fuel pump at the same time.

According to my circuit diagram, they are supposed to be on the same fuse in the main box, which is why I fitted new fuses, but, following the wires, by colour, it would appear that the 2 are on sparate fuses.

Anyway, I will be having a look and trying to trace where things go this afternoon

If I find any further problems, or, potential solutions, I will let you know.

Finally

With the exception of the indicators, everything is working again.

Regarding the indicators, the diagram I have, shows green from flasher unit to fusebox and white from fusebox to ingition switch.

As I write this I am looking at the fusebox and see a loop from one fuse to the next (see photo) and it's green!

Now I am beginning to worry!

I wonder what the h3ll has been done.

Is there an 'off the shelf' flasher unit' I can buy, just in case the easy fix works?

Otherwise, any helpful suggestions regarding getting the indicators to indicate?

Edited by wjgco

Mark

Switch received, fitted and working

Many thanks for the help.

Now, having cleaned the engine with gunk, I have discovered a small oil leak from the cylinder head gasket at no3 cylinder NS, so, its top off now.

No water in the oil, so, Im thankful for small mercies

The joys of classic cars!