Just had my engine put back. Now when I brake, I hear a loud click or clack as you will, when starting to brake. It sounds like a piece of metal or something hitting a hard plastic part. I have not managed to locate it when stationary but it seems to be coming frim the pedal area. As I say, I do not know if one could hear it in the engine room. It is not always there, I have a suspicion it is there so long as there is vacuum in the servo but I am not sure because it comes and goes. An ideas,as it is nerving.

Just had my engine put back. Now when I brake, I hear a loud click or clack as you will, when starting to brake. It sounds like a piece of metal or something hitting a hard plastic part. I have not managed to locate it when stationary but it seems to be coming frim the pedal area. As I say, I do not know if one could hear it in the engine room. It is not always there, I have a suspicion it is there so long as there is vacuum in the servo but I am not sure because it comes and goes. An ideas,as it is nerving.

Peter,

Interesting,

You say it comes from the pedal area when you apply the brakes, a long shot I am wondering if it could be a drumming or buckling panel. So would check that the actual pedal box is bolted securely in place, especialy the four bolts that locate the servo.

Worth a check, only other thing I could think of would be a noisy non return valve out of the servo, you could remove the pipe from the manifold and suck the end of the pipe see if it makes the noise.

Good hunting

GUY

Guest ntc

Worth a check, only other thing I could think of would be a noisy non return valve out of the servo, you could remove the pipe from the manifold and suck the end of the pipe see if it makes the noise.

Good hunting

Yep my money would be on your last comment Guy

Thanks, I will do it today. It is Mothering Sunday out here, so as the misses and the daughter are out of the house, I have lots of time.

If it's only on light brake pressure it may be the pads picking up and hitting the top of the calipers. My 6 does it when it's been standing over winter until the discs clean up.

Ken

The curious about it is it is only there sometimes. Light pressure. It can happen up to 50 times then suddenly it vanishes. This is the reason it is so hard to trace. I have tried switching off the engine sometimes it is still there and others not. I am not sure if there is a direct connection to the amount of servo vacumm.

A warped disc will cause pads to pick up and clatter against the caliper. If it's rust it should clean up after a few runs. Without hearing the noise it's difficult to give a diagnosis.

I would be having a good look for anything loose or starting to fail.

Ken

That sounds like the servo non return valve possibly bouncing if it is continuous.Try putting one of these inline http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-NEW-LOCKHEED-TYPE-REMOTE-BRAKE-SERVO-INLINE-NON-RETURN-VALVE-EBS11-/381182177662?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58c03a717e if it stops making the noise then you need to replace the valve on the servo body.

Stuart.

I put new calipers and pads in about 400 miles ago. It ran perfectly. Then I had my engine taken out, done up and put back. Now this funny noise every so often.

I cannot think why taking the engine out and putting it back would cause this quite loud noise.

Just back from a long run. Rev. counter just packed up. Now the good news.The click clack is vacuum dependent. When I switch off the motor it happens three times then I hear nothing. So at least we have made a step forwards. Stuart I have a saloon so, firstly I will take the NRV from the saloon servo and put it on the TR. I hope I get some useful information.

Just back from a long run. Rev. counter just packed up. Now the good news.The click clack is vacuum dependent. When I switch off the motor it happens three times then I hear nothing. So at least we have made a step forwards. Stuart I have a saloon so, firstly I will take the NRV from the saloon servo and put it on the TR. I hope I get some useful information.

Take note which way round it goes..

The arrow may not be obvious.

Peter W

Peter that's the sort of comment I appreciate. It is like the telephone. Pick the thing up in the right hand transfer it to the left and you have it straight way the wong way round and a twist in the cable :-)

Dear Peter,

I had a "clack" on the front brakes some years ago,

after I changed the brake pads and forgot to remove rust and dust out

of the calipers. So I had to removed too much paint from the pads to get them in the calipers.

The "clack" came not before some hundred miles after the change.

It appeared some times - and some times not, depending on the friction pad/piston.

Please measure the gap between the pads and the calipers, there should be nearly "none".

Or lift the car with a assistant on the driver seat and brake. Let him / her press the brake "tenderly"

and try to turn the wheel back and forward by hand.

Cheers

Marco

Edited by Z320

Marco the clack is definately coming from the area of the pedal or being amplifeid by the metal in the area. The sound is such that I thought I was catching something with the toe of my shoe.