Rear bulkhead trim panel bottom attachment - post 60K TR3A

I'm pretty sure this has come up before but I'm darned if I can find it.

Fitting the rear trim panel, the one between the gas tank and the cockpit. The upper edge slides into some bent clips, what does the bottom edge attach to and where ?. I had no brackets at this location when I took this car apart, the trim panel was just wedged in place. Were there originally brackets in front of the fuel tank for this panel to attach to at the bottom ?

Stan

No clips or brackets at the botton on mine - just wedged at the sides.

Rob

For the tr2, I believe the trimpanel rests against the fuel tank brackets. The lower edge is folded (it is on my new panel and on my old one) which is screwed to the bottom.

Heres a picture of my tr2, I think the carpet should be covering the screws in stead, but the carpet doesnt have a nice sewn edge (yet..)

I dont know if this was completely different on the post 60k with the different bootarea.

IMG_5175.JPG

Thanks all for the info. It looks like originally the rear trim panel had some brackets attached to it that fastened to the body in front of the trim panel. That would imply that the carpet went down after that trim panel was installed. My carpet set does not have a finished edge for the section that goes on the rear shelf implying that the edge of the carpet should be under the trim panel. I think the best option is to add a couple of brackets that will be behind the trim panel and screw through the trim panel into the brackets to secure the panel.

Stan

That is just how mine are fitted. They are pop riveted to the trim panel under the covering and using self tappers, fixed to the floor. After you have screwed them down through the carpet you push the panel into the final position.

No carpet edge, no brackets or screws on view.

Good luck, Richard

• 5 years later...

5 years - and my family say I procrastinate! Sure there was plenty to tinker with in the meantime though.

Thread drift...

...I see you are going to install the glove box now. Recently replaced mine. Was having a real struggle getting it tight up to the centre of the car and the dash opening. Eventually realised that the rear was fouling on an over long bolt through the bulkhead which secured the earth cable from the battery. Replaced it with a shorter one. Also discovered the  two holes underneath the dash opening had been covered up so the two retaining screws for the box  had not previously been used. So eventually got the box really tight into where it should be and wedged it there whilst I located the top securing screw and two lower screws (I used self tappers with a spire(?) 'nut') which fitted under the lower lip of the opening.

Miles

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

I took mine out a week or so ago, in order to get at something behind it.

I found no difficulty in replaceing it.

Bob.

The difference is that you installed properly in the first place Bob! 

Miles

The glove box is in with very little drama. Only issue was the addition wiring that I had running along the heater support brace for fog/spot lamps and power outlets. They were preventing the glove box from sitting properly. Once that was sorted and I found the holes in the dash under the vinyl it was plain sailing.

20200806_132247-L.jpg

15 hours ago, foster461 said:

The glove box is in with very little drama. Only issue was the addition wiring that I had running along the heater support brace for fog/spot lamps and power outlets. They were preventing the glove box from sitting properly. Once that was sorted and I found the holes in the dash under the vinyl it was plain sailing.

20200806_132247-L.jpg

Where does the screw in the back corner attach.

Richard & B

47 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

Where does the screw in the back corner attach.

Richard & B

Theres a small "L" shaped bracket that attaches to the dash support bracket.

Stuart.

Items 55, 56 and 57 on this moss diagram. https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/interior/dashboards-consoles/dashboard-tr2-3a-1953-62.html

They show the L bracket in a horizontal orientation making some people think it goes into the bulkhead but it mounts vertically into a slotted hole in the heater support brace. My repro glove box had a hole for it.

To be honest I dont know that it is necessary because in my case the rear corner of the glove box was resting pretty much on the brace bar and I had to work to get that L bracket in place and I was in half a mind to leave it off but I realized if I posted a picture with no screw I would be hearing about it from somebody.

Stan

52 minutes ago, foster461 said:

To be honest I dont know that it is necessary because in my case the rear corner of the glove box was resting pretty much on the brace bar and I had to work to get that L bracket in place and I was in half a mind to leave it off but I realized if I posted a picture with no screw I would be hearing about it from somebody.

Stan

:lol::lol::lol:

Stuart.