LHD to RHD Conversion

Can anyone tell me what is involved in converting a TR3a from LHD to RHD

I have found a good rust free car, 100% complete, O/D,  weather equipment not original colour but looks very presentable for £7000

Is this a good buy?

What is involved in converting to RHD?

Any help / advice much appreciated

Thanks

John

I bought mine a few months ago after a long search, I did look at some LHD ones and I contacted a couple of the big name Triumph workshops about conversions.

Rough quotes ranged from about £1,500 to £2,000 all assuming that no major new parts would be needed.

The excellent book 'How to restore TR2, TR3 and TR3A' by Roger Williams has a whole section devoted to what is incolved in doing the conversion.

I could ask, why bother to convert at all?

If the car was a L.H.D in the first place.

I aknowledge the convienience of being on the "correct" side of the car in traffic etc, but (In Australia at least) you can now fully register a car a in L.H.D.

Think of all the money you'd save by not swapping over.

Mychael

Just to add my thoughts, I had a 1951 LHD Riley 2 1/2 for years and found no problem driving it with the steering wheel on the other side.  All the best which ever way you go.

Nigel (with TS952)

Hi John,

I recently converted a 3A from RHD to LHD, about the only parts you need are, steering box, accelerator pedal, dash panel and glove box, rev and mph cables and the Y bracket on bulkhead. From memory everything else is transferrable. If you are mechanically confident I would think about £300 in parts. Good luck, Simon

Guest GDalzell

John,

Conisider a rack and pinion if you're changing over. The difference is worth it. There are a few kits out there and I suggest you contact Protek. If not, there are many people who converted RHD cars to rack and pinion and the RHD peg and worm bits should be freely available. A bit of cutting and welding plus some 3/8 rod and 1/8 roll pins will change over your throttle pedal. You may need to twist the clutch/brake pedals to get the right position. I believe that the experts use a bit of heat and some welly. The expensive part is the RHD dashboard if you want a steel one.

Regards Graham