Throttles not opening 100% and other things...

OK so been tuning the TR after the chassis change and engine refresh..

One of my problems is a high idle (1200-1400 rpm). Before the refresh the idle was more like 900 rpm but it was clear that there were some airleaks as the idle airbleed was pretty much closed to get 900rpm

So have been checking out the throttle bodies.. First thing I have noticed is that the linkages (CP car) are V loose and look worn. Have also noticed that the butterflies are only opening about 75% (This is even with the pedal stop adjusted slack). I take it that the two things are linked. The wear in the linkages is also making it challenging to adjust the throttles... I am guessing that some of those ball joint linkages from Moss are the cure..?

I have also looked at the flow through the throttles and there does seem to be some signs of twisted throttle shafts (e.g. different flows through throats in the same throttle body..). Has anyone had any success in twisting the shafts to correct? I did this once on some webber DCOEs and it seemed to work. I know people will probably say that I should just get them reconned but am (in theory) planning on fitting a Moss supercharger kit when they come back into production so just need this as a temporary fix until then..

thanks for any help

Cheers

Tim

OK so been tuning the TR after the chassis change and engine refresh..

One of my problems is a high idle (1200-1400 rpm). Before the refresh the idle was more like 900 rpm but it was clear that there were some airleaks as the idle airbleed was pretty much closed to get 900rpm

So have been checking out the throttle bodies.. First thing I have noticed is that the linkages (CP car) are V loose and look worn. Have also noticed that the butterflies are only opening about 75% (This is even with the pedal stop adjusted slack). I take it that the two things are linked. The wear in the linkages is also making it challenging to adjust the throttles... I am guessing that some of those ball joint linkages from Moss are the cure..?

I have also looked at the flow through the throttles and there does seem to be some signs of twisted throttle shafts (e.g. different flows through throats in the same throttle body..). Has anyone had any success in twisting the shafts to correct? I did this once on some webber DCOEs and it seemed to work. I know people will probably say that I should just get them reconned but am (in theory) planning on fitting a Moss supercharger kit when they come back into production so just need this as a temporary fix until then..

thanks for any help

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

I did have some success straightening a twisted butterfly shaft; I also replaced linkage bushes and changed to the ball joint linkages. I also found some of the throttle linkage parts bent. All back together and now ticks over at 800rpm nicely.

TIm

I'll check out my spare sets, see if they will get you by until Moss are in business again.

I got one off a CP wreck ca 1980, been stored since...may not be worn, but might be seized - so no promises.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Hi Peter,

Thats a kind offer!

Really should pop over to see you some time..

cheers

TIm