Anti roll bar mot fail

Harrumphhh

First mot with the tr6 and its a fail on the front anti roll bar which fouls on the front wheels on full lock. The washers on the drop link just touch the rime and the bar actually scrubs the tyres, same on both sides

Suggested solutions include, fitting wheel spacers, fabricating some sort of steering lock limiter, reshaping the anti roll bar

Thoughts welcome but I'd like a solution that I can employ in the next day or two as that's all the time I have available.

Cheers

Gary

Once the test station had fixed its computer the retest took 10 mins and a fresh certificate was in my grateful hands

Thanks again

Gary

Ps, I've been a member of 3 single marque clubs, this one, Stag owners and MG Owners clubs. Both the triumph clubs have provided excellent non-mercenary support but the MG club quite the opposite. I partially put this down to the smaller numbers involved and less availability of parts. Maybe I'm daft!

Interesting what you say about the MGOC. Had wondered about joining as I have a Midget as well as he TR..

Had not gone ahead as I never see them at the events I go to ( eg Le Mans, Spa etc) and guessed that they are not into such things. In fact given the number around I very rarely see MGs at any events. Very odd.

Tim,

The MGOC branch that I ran for 12 years was, like most MGOC groups, not into competition events and long distance driving. Rather we did lots of shows and picnic runs. I think because there are so many MG owners ( we had 40-60 regular attenders) they are able to remain insular and not look outside their immediate circle. This is also the case with parts there's so much availability and such a large demand that nothing was ever 'free' yet most things were relatively cheap.

Gary

• 8 years later...
On 4/13/2015 at 4:42 PM, grumpy2 said:

Harrumphhh

First mot with the tr6 and its a fail on the front anti roll bar which fouls on the front wheels on full lock. The washers on the drop link just touch the rime and the bar actually scrubs the tyres, same on both sides

Suggested solutions include, fitting wheel spacers, fabricating some sort of steering lock limiter, reshaping the anti roll bar

Thoughts welcome but I'd like a solution that I can employ in the next day or two as that's all the time I have available.

Cheers

Gary

Just been looking for someone else with this problem. My TR6 is the same and I'm wondering if the ARB is distorted. With it sitting on the suspension and the wheels straight ahead I measure 910mm between link attachment centres. I suspect this is too much and would appreciate what that dimension should be before I make some bigger lock stops.

John (CP TR6)

The lock stop on my 4A has the hole off centre so you can turn it to increase or decrease the setting. If you remove the lock stop bolt and look at the thick washer shaped disc (item 78 in Rogers link above) you should see the hole is off centre. Item 77 is a lock washer that holds it in the correct position when the bolt is tightened up.

Keith

When I rebuilt my front end, I went round and round with the steering stops. And my OEM stops were offset, by 0.005" . Many measurings with a caliper. Both were the same. And once I had marked the stop at max/min, installed the stop, adjusted the stop and there was no more fouling. Very subtle, not detectable by the naked eye.

7 hours ago, keith1948 said:

The lock stop on my 4A has the hole off centre so you can turn it to increase or decrease the setting. If you remove the lock stop bolt and look at the thick washer shaped disc (item 78 in Rogers link above) you should see the hole is off centre. Item 77 is a lock washer that holds it in the correct position when the bolt is tightened up.

Keith

Thanks Keith, the lock stops on mine don't have off centre holes. May need to make some with bigger OD

5 hours ago, CK's TR6 said:

When I rebuilt my front end, I went round and round with the steering stops. And my OEM stops were offset, by 0.005" . Many measurings with a caliper. Both were the same. And once I had marked the stop at max/min, installed the stop, adjusted the stop and there was no more fouling. Very subtle, not detectable by the naked eye.

Thanks, mine don't seem to be offset and 5 thou wouldn't be enough to get clearance. Must measure someone else's ARB!

4a on to 6 lock stops from factory arent eccentric drilled so not adjustable. Revingtons do some that are eccentric drilled but I found they werent a good fit on the trunnion.

Stuart.

46 minutes ago, stuart said:

4a on to 6 lock stops from factory arent eccentric drilled so not adjustable. Revingtons do some that are eccentric drilled but I found they werent a good fit on the trunnion.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. I think the ARB on my TR6 must be distorted. I'd really like to know what the distance between the holes for the drop links in the ARB should be. Mine measures 910mm. Perhaps I need a new one but don't want to go there until I know what that dimension should be.

30 minutes ago, J E Bell said:

Thanks Stuart. I think the ARB on my TR6 must be distorted. I'd really like to know what the distance between the holes for the drop links in the ARB should be. Mine measures 910mm. Perhaps I need a new one but don't want to go there until I know what that dimension should be.

The only bar I have here as I dont have a 6 in at the moment I think is from a 4 and distance between hole centres at each end is 880mm

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

The only bar I have here as I dont have a 6 in at the moment I think is from a 4 and distance between hole centres at each end is 880mm

Stuart.

Thanks for checking Stuart, I'll measure a friend's 6 when I get a chance. If the 6 was also 880mm that would clear easily.

1 hour ago, Z320 said:

Btw,

did I tell here what my friend Jochen asked ME when I asked him about the need for an anti roll bar?

:ph34r:

I'll bite,...tell me....tell me. Knowing how sensible yourself and Jochen are I'm full of curiosity.

Mick Richards  

Hi Mick,

I guess you are thinking of my „lets do an innovation“ friend Jochem,

this story is about my „calm down“ friend Jochen.

I told this story here before, but I can do it again…..:lol:

Me to Jochen: „What do you think about fitting an anti roll bar on our TR4As“.

He: „Does your TR4A roll?“

Me: „Well….no“.

He: „What was your question, please?“

Ciao :ph34r: Marco

AAahhh Marco,

A truthfull man with clever friends.

Mick Richards