Kevo

There is nowt wrong, check the fork pins roll as they should.

Thanks Neil,

Bu$$er I put in new pins and peened them in tight as was the ones I took out, didn't know they had to rotate, that would explain why the ones I put in in May have got flats on them already. I have ordered new Revington uprated release bearing, phosphor bronze carrier, new fork and cross shaft etc.

(Belt & Braces)

I would appreciate any other tips you may have on my reassembly.

Hi Kev,

just back from the IWE and have read your words.

The better quallity release bearing appears not to have made it to the parts list.

You would need to phone the London branch and have a chat.

If they haven't a clue ask them to speak to Jeff marks.

Roger

Thanks Roger

Already ordered from Revington.

Hi Kev,

desperate attempt - you have fitted the bush in the back of the crank for the GB input shaft pilot. !!!

Roger

New bush fitted last year and still looking good.

Hi Kev,

when fitting the new fork do not forget to add an extra device to help support the taper pin.

Most chaps use a roll pin at 90 degrees to the taper pin.

There are other ways.

Roger

Thanks Roger, will do.

I did pin it last time.

Thanks Neil,

Bu$$er I put in new pins and peened them in tight as was the ones I took out, didn't know they had to rotate, that would explain why the ones I put in in May have got flats on them already. I have ordered new Revington uprated release bearing, phosphor bronze carrier, new fork and cross shaft etc.

(Belt & Braces)

I would appreciate any other tips you may have on my reassembly.

Kevo

They don't just make sure they are not to big to fit the bearing at full depression .

Kevo

You have now found the answer to your sticky clutch ;):rolleyes: the flats say it all.

Cheers Neil, hope to get it all back together by the end of the week.

I,ll let you know how I get on.

Hi

I put it the gearbox back in over the weekend, polished the gearbox nose, lubricated where necessary, fitted the Revington uprated (Koyo) release bearing together with the Revington phosphor bronze carrier, Revington Oilite cross shaft bushes, new cross shaft and a new Revington fork and taper bolt, pinned up also.

We went for a 40 odd mile run yesterday afternoon and at first it seemed really good, got around the corner and found that it was difficult to engage 1st and 2nd gear, I carried on going round the block a few times with the problem and after about 5 or so minutes it seemed to clear itself (did the gearbox need a bit of time to settle in?), so again carried on driving for about an hour and it was really nice and smooth, good gear changes with overdrive working nicely through the logic device. Clutch engagement with just over half a pedal and smooth.

It seemed fine when I was parking up at home, nice and hot, changing between 1st and reverse no problem. I am going to drive it as much as possible this week just to make sure everything is fine.

Fingers crossed it WILL BE fine, but knowing the way my luck goes it may not stay this way.

Thanks for everyone’s input and help so far.

Some TR gearboxes seem a bit baulky until they're warmed up. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Pete.

Hi Kev,

a little bit of Zen require here - repeat after me 'It will be OK, it will be OK, It will be OK Ommm'

Roger

Hi Roger, It will be OK, it will be OK, It will be OK Ommm....

How long do I keep saying this :unsure::lol: do I light any candles?

Well the good news is the clutch is working beautifully.

The bad news is 1st & 2nd more so 2nd is giving me problems as in tonight I went out for a test run and everything was working well and gear selection was good but the reverse happened tonight as to yesterday afternoon, the car was hot and working well and then all of a sudden I could not get 2nd easy and sometimes it would jump out of 2nd then ok and then all weird as in gear stick movement.

Could it be the gaiter rubber?

The gearbox was recondition last year and was fine up until recently.

Getting really pi$t off now as it is only 4 weeks to my French tour in the car.

I would appreciate any further clues.

Thanks in desperation.

Hi Kevo,

Gaiter rubber is not out of the question - they normally fight like hell unless they're fitted exactly right in my experience.

Take out the H-brace and drive it around that way to isolate it..

Cheers,

Tom

Cheers Tom, it is new one. Got to be worth a go but it did start this before I took the box out but I assumed it was my very sticky clutch.

I've taken the H frame out and the rubbers, went for a drive and 2nd is still difficult most of the time but the clutch is releasing about half way and feels good.

I think I will end this thread and start a new one purely on the gearbox issues. Ho hum, 1 step forward and about a dozen back. I feel like crying!!!!....