Hi All,

I've just got my Historic Status so got the car out on the road this last weekend.. I put brand new sparks in before starting this year, the MU was brand new last year and setup by Malcolm Jones, engine is completely restored professionally, all fuel lines (inc tank) are brand new last year. The problem is, I'm replacing the sparks every couple of months (I know I could clean them but they're not expensive and it's easier to put in new ones) .. they are getting heavily sooted up to the point where I can't get the engine to fire, the car pulls well to about 4.5k revs then seems to top out in each gear, when I floor it there is a momentary loss of power before it takes off, there is a popping coming from unburnt fuel in the exhaust on lift off, umm.. what else.. I've checked the enrichment lever returns completely to its off position and the car runs fairly well with no choke after a couple of mins, it's taking a lot of cranking to start each time though, all the hoses and brake servo etc are brand new, injectors are brand new replacements for the dodgy leaking ones I got on eBay originally (new ones are from Moss). Does any of this sound like multiple symptoms of a common problem I could look for or would it be best to just get the car to TRBitz and be done with looking?

Many thanks,
Chris

Wont go over at 4500rpm? Check the spark timing. Static should be approx12btdc

Most of those symptoms could result from over-retarded spark: sooty plugs, hesitation upon wot, exhaust popping on over-run.

Edited by Peter Cobbold

I don't think there should be a vacuum leak as everything is almost new (including the filter so I think that rules out disconnecting the pipe from the air box too), I'll check both though. In terms of engine timing, i've got it set to 11btdc as per the instructions for the fast road cam I had put in, I checked the timing with the strobe yesterday and it's right on the line. I can try backing it off a fraction and see what results I get though, i'll let you know if this afternoon is as sunny as yesterday

Cheers

Do you mean 11 btdc static?

Cheers

Tim