Hi my friends

I would like to buy some trumpets for my webbers

They need to be the right length and have a detachable wire covering

Can anyone advise were to get the rascals from

As the prices seem to be all over the place on the net, also I don't want to buy the wrong thing

Thank you for your help gentlemen

Pink

I would like to buy some trumpets for my webbers

They need to be the right length and have a detachable wire covering

As you will see from the variety available the "right length" (and shape) is the key question on Ram Pipes, are you looking for improved function, or are you looking for show and don't mind if they actually reduce performance?

Edited by oldtuckunder

Hi Pink,

looking to improve or maximize what performance ? Top end power, mid range torque, fuel economy ?

Appropriate trumpet dimension will, to some extent, depend on just what you wish to achieve . . . . and on the remainder of the engine spec, need I add.

Best bet is a rolling road session, at an establishment with plenty of jets to play with and a decent selection of trumpets to choose from. Then you might get somewhere.

Bear in mind that underbonnet airflow on the road isn't quite the same as static on the rollers, which may require some further refining . . . . .

The price of trumpets is neither here nor there, at least not in the context of a morning's work on the rollers . . . . .

Presumably you'll first be creating some form of plenum chamber fed from a goodly size intake trunk and filter, and fitting your trumpets into that ?

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious or teaching you to suck eggs !

Cheers

Alec

A cold air intake will improve torque at all rpm, if the present carbs are sucking in hot underbonnet air.

Because air at 40C is about 4% less dense that at 20C, (at the same atmospheric pressure):

http://www.ce.utexas.edu/prof/kinnas/319lab/Book/CH1/PROPS/GIFS/densair.gif

Hi guys

Yea I remember previously conversations with neil, (who was very helpfully ) there is no power gain

have been using air filters

However I like the look of the trumpets and the induction noise

Thanks Peter for your reply, I bought a nas car fan which has been fitted in line can be switched on sucking and pushing cold air on to the carbs

When running I will be taking the car to the mainland on a the rolling road Alec

Thanks Stuart saw the list of trumpets some have removable gauze others have fixed gauze ( what to buy )

Looking to no what would fit, what to buy, as I do not want to waste my money

Thanks for your help pink

Pilkie - Put a Sock in it!

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/ram-pipes-filter-socks/itg-ram-pipe-trumpet-filter-sock

BTW are you using 40/42/45 webers?

AlanR

No thanks, dont like the fire risk.

Stuart.

Yea I remember previously conversations with neil, (who was very helpfully ) there is no power gain

have been using air filters

However I like the look of the trumpets and the induction noise

I had been about to follow up my earlier comment last night but ran out of time, and your latest comment saves a lot of debate.

As you saw from the other wise comments you really have to decide what it is your after, getting better performance is a choice of where and for what, general low down torque road driving, or balls out top end performance.

Changing from stock filters, although there is no such thing for webbers on a TR, can make a difference but even a different filter can alter the fuel/air ratio at different RPM's so there is an argument that unless you can measure AFR's even minior changes can have a +/- impact. Certainly all sidedraft carbs webbers, SU's, Strombergs all hate just having open to air inlet ports the air flow goes chaotic, even a simple flat backplate (as used on most filters) across the inlets does seem to have a dramatic + effect on the air flow patterns into the inlets. And correctly shaped stub stacks can make a huge difference, but deciding on the correct shape is the catch 22 question and may take you on a long expedition of discovery (search on this forum for inlet ram pipes may give you some idea). On page 4 of the following thread you will see a chart of different pipe characteristics which you may find interesting.

http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/574-flow-simulations/page-4

However given your "I like the look and the induction roar" I'd probably forget all the science make a sensible choice based on whats available and will fit, and then try them (if you are going to a rolling road then you may actually be able to easily find out what they do alter) but otherwise unless they really do have a detrimental effect just Enjoy them!

I think Racetorations use the standard* trumpets on all their Webered cars. That would be 30mm on the 40s; not sure what the std is on 45s.

30mm trumpets in the TR5 and early TR6 engine bay preclude the use of filters ( I'm not including " gauze " , socks or such like ) unless special, er, " provision " has been made in the offending wheelarch to allow same ( guilty am I of that offence on one of mine ). Both of mine's trumpets have a healthy distance from their filter covers' flat surfaces, but the unmolested wheelarched driver makes do with 18mm trumpets instead of 30s.

No rolling road experience here, just seat of the pants.

Cheers,

Tom

*what the new ones come with

Dave Walker of www.emeraldm3d.com and EFI has adjustable trumpets which I think he has designed.This should give you flexibility on a rolling road.As you know I am a fan of his and used a lot of his kit when I converted my TR5 to EFI.

See you both soon,

Love Mary and Harry.

Dave Walker of www.emeraldm3d.com and EFI has adjustable trumpets which I think he has designed.This should give you flexibility on a rolling road.As you know I am a fan of his and used a lot of his kit when I converted my TR5 to EFI.

See you both soon,

Love Mary and Harry.

Hi Harry,

Sounds good, I will give the gutsy a ring

See you in a couple of weelks , love to Mary

Pink x

A similar profile works VERY well on Strombergs also.

I have one only K&N 'do-nut' for a HS4 SU Carb so copied the profile in MDF and gloss painted - been fitted for some year now to my TR3A - no idea if it has improved or crippled the performance..

Peter W