Cylinder Head conversion to Unleaded - South

Afternoon,all,

Could anyone please recommend a company as far south as possible to convert a TR6 cylinder head to unleaded? One of many disadvantages of living on an Island (Jersey)

Many thanks in advance.

Darren

Hi Darren

I used this company http://www.dandrjamesengineering.co.uk/as they are close to me in Poole, had the head skimmed lightly all new valves, guides and inserts done. The one thing is they ended up not being cheap, it cost me about £500 last year and they did not even paint it but at least I could take it there and pick it up. They are real old school engineering work shop, **** everywhere. No connection but everything worked out fine.

Edited by Kevo_6

Just for comparison the TSSC offers an unleading service on your own head (as it were)

They don't say who or where does it, but you could ask: https://shop.tssc.org.uk/category/engine?sort_bef_combine=title%20ASC&sort_order=ASC&sort_by=title&page=0%2C4

John

Mark Maynard - stroud

Darren,

Are you aware there are two methods of securing the valve seats and most suppliers only use one method? So decide what you want before settling on a supplier.

Until a couple of years ago valve seats were oversize and frozen in liquid nitrogen to shrink them to fit the heated cylinder head recesses.

Now some suppliers have the valve seats and recesses similar sizes and bond the valve seats into place.

I don't know what's best but I had mine heated / frozen.

Edited by barkerwilliams

Hi Darren,

As others have suggested, do you really need to do this? If the head's not already off the car I'd leave well alone. As you live on Jersey, with relatively small distances and lower speed limits, as valve recession only significantly occurs at high revs / speeds (like on dual carriageways and motorways) then in my opinion I doubt this would be an issue for you.

(by comparison, we've been running a Stag on unleaded since the mid 90's and around 15k miles in that time on the UK general roads, including motorways. no valve master and nothing has changed with the valve clearances... Not TR6 I realise but similar vintage)

Sorry if this reply does not really help you if you already have the head off!!

Cheers,

J.