Distributor Infomration - Mechaical Tacho

Hi all Just in the process of looking to purchase a new distributor with solid state components in order to omit the points as mine's rather worn and sometimes struggles when the cars up to temp. Car's a TR6 1973, I have d22 referenced on the current distributor if this referes to anything, assume Lucas ref?

I've seen a few on the popular auction website but they don't seem to have a mechanical tachometer connection. Are there any suppliers out there that do them? Also what are the options/costs in going with an electronic tacho?

Any opinions or experienced welcomed. Thanks, Rob

Edited by Witness

Hi Rob,

I've recently been down this road myself and bought a 123Ignition which I am very pleased with and as you say doesn't have the take off for a mechanical tacho cable.

John Ostrich of JDO converted my mechanical Tacho to electrical and I'm very happy with the work completed.

http://www.jdo1.com

To lend some balance there is also an argument that a correctly restored Lucas Distributor would provide similar results to electronic ignition.

If you wanted to explore that side I would contact Martin Jay at the below web link

http://www.distributordoctor.com.

The full electronic ignition will be more expensive than your own dizzy being restored but if you bide your time Rimmer's helpfully have regular discount sales.

Jim

Thanks for the input guys and apologies for the late reply.

Jim, how did you find installing and setting up the 123 ignition? Looks like an awesome bit of kit as the price tag would suggest, don’t see much change from £270.00! I understand why it’s that price but should any faults occur it’s not a system that can be easily fixed, same I guess going for an Accuspark or similar type distributor but the costs for these types are £70.00 with a timing light can be all it at £85.00.

I’ve spoken with Martin and he’s currently on a 8 week turnaround for refurbs so that leave me with either getting a new mechanical or electronic type. I currently swayed towards the Accuspark and timing light type for speed and cost reasons along with getting the tacho modified. All in this will be £200.00 as opposed to circa £400.00 with a 123.

Rob

Edited by Witness

Hi Rob,

The first 123Ignition I had from Rimmer's was delivered faulty so up to the point when I realised it was the 123 and not me that wasn't working it was a complete mare.

The replacement was very easy to set up though as long as you follow the instructions. On a strobe the timing mark is rock steady and it works well. I went for the non-map version but still have enough adjustment for me to experiment a little. As an insurance I still carry my old dizzy in the boot so I can swap back.

I'd like to say the 123 has transformed the car, but it was just one more thing in the evolution of my winter projects, so together with some new plugs, valve adjustment, leads etc it certainly runs better than it did before I started some of which may be due to the removed dizzy being a little worn.

Having the tacho changed from mechanical to electrical was a very good move though and I'd certainly recommend that.

Jim

Rather than fit a after market "electronic" distributor which might (or might not) have an advance curve suitable for your car, why not get yours rebuilt and fit an electronic ignition module?

If there is a bit of a time delay in getting yours refurbed a short term solution might be to take yours apart to make sure the bob weights are free. Tighten up the ends of the springs so they aren't slack so you don't get too much timing scatter and fit an electronic module such as a Powerspark one from ebay.

Simply swapping to a electronic set of points greatly reduces the timing scatter that afflicts worn distributors (the slack clearance of the shaft in its bush allows considerable variation in the pints gap and hence timing) Then get yours properly rebuilt by Martin over the winter.

Edited by andymoltu