Historic Vehicle classification HELP please

Gordon Brown did not like motor cars,he said so in a radio interview, he has a driving licence but doesn't drive! Don't know what Millipedes like in this area.

As to taxing at a PO,I used my local village one and had no issues at all,I think the problem lies in presenting the V11,my car was sorned over the winter months (not any more though :D ) so perhaps that is the difference. The lady in the PO doesn't know me from Adam,but there are a number of classic car owners in the area and perhaps she has had experience of doing them.

Gosh !!!! the lady in your PO does classic car owners,,,,,,,,,,,where are you ?

My V5 states first reg in uk 1989, declared manufactured 1974.US import obviously and I can't be alone on this one.

Has anyone had this situation and what's the procedure.

Thanks

Mike

My V5 states first reg in uk 1989, declared manufactured 1974.US import obviously and I can't be alone on this one.

Has anyone had this situation and what's the procedure.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

If the V5 says manufactured 1974 then that is all they care about - you should be fine at the post office.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Mike,

If the V5 says manufactured 1974 then that is all they care about - you should be fine at the post office.

Regards,

Michael

Thanks for that - I'll give it a go.

Dear Daz,

If you look at my response the one before yours send a copy of your heritage cert. to that dept in the DVLA along with your V10 & V5C by recorded delivery and ask them why have you had to pay £126 at the post office and can you have a refund? Lastly make sure that you also have copies of you V10 & V5C

Bruce.

Hi All,

An interesting topic, my TR6 was first registered on 15/09/75 but has Chassis Number of CR64280 which implies it was built in 1974, does anyone have access to the guide that can tell the exact build date please? Thanks.

Dear Daz,

If you look at my response the one before yours send a copy of your heritage cert. to that dept in the DVLA along with your V10 & V5C by recorded delivery and ask them why have you had to pay £126 at the post office and can you have a refund? Lastly make sure that you also have copies of you V10 & V5C

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce, that's just what I have done. I hope to get my money back but I really just want to get the taxation class sorted for next time. Money is only money, it cant make you smile like a 6 on a sunny day. I will report back when / if my paperwork ever returns

• 2 weeks later...

My 1975 registered TR6 was granted Historic status today, based only on me sending Glass's check book photo copies to DVLA to prove the first 1975 UK TR6 manufactured was CR6622 ( many thanks again to TR6 Registrar Derek for supplying the print file) and I obviously sent an accompanying letter.

Less than 2 weeks wait and all done.

Celebration pint coming up!

Bob

+1 with the thanks to Derek.

As with Bob, he was good enough to send me copies of the appropriate Glasses Check Book (GCB) pages for my 1975 registered TR6, showing it was built in 1974.

I sent these, with my V5C, filled out as requested and today, just over a week later have received the notification of my car being 'taxed' as an historic vehicle, new V5C to follow.

A great result, which would not have happened if it were not for the furum and Derek.

Our experience shows that all you need is copies of the appropriate GCB pages and the V5C correctly filled out, sent 1st class, signed for, to the DVLA.

Thanks Derek

More thanks to Derek, I have received a letter confirming new tax class, a receipt for £0 confirming my car is taxed until next March, V5C to follow, interestingly there is no mention of the £126 I paid to tax it 2 weeks ago :ph34r: maybe it will come back with the V5C.

The main thing is its now free to tax for the next 40 years

Result :rolleyes:

Huge thanks Derek

My V5C came back today but no refund !! :ph34r::ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Been away for a few days, got back an hour ago.

2 ominous brown envelopes on the door mat, however . . . . .

1 contained my new V5C, the other a refund of 96 quid on my road tax!

Not quite sure how the DVLA got from £126 to £96, but, hey ho, most of ths money is back in my account, so, I am happy to say, job done!

Historic taxation class received.

thanks to all who assisted

Did you get a refund or was it not applicable?

In total I got 3 separate letters just 3 days apart from DVLA

1. Advisory letter saying Historic status granted

2. New V5

3. Refund cheque for RFL

Obviously different departments involved who do not co-ordinate their post !

Bob

Not refund appropriate as had been on SORN over winter.

I have to say, I had expected some resistance but no such and all very smooth

even bigger smile on my face now the vehicle licence costs £0

They will only refund the tax for the period after it officially became registered as historic.

Unless it has changed the historic status applies if your car was first registered before the cut off date or the date of manufacture. The former is easy enough as the DVLA have records, the latter less so as BMIHT records are incomplete - I think the records for the Stags were more comprehensive.

Did you get a refund or was it not applicable?

In total I got 3 separate letters just 3 days apart from DVLA

1. Advisory letter saying Historic status granted

2. New V5

3. Refund cheque for RFL

Obviously different departments involved who do not co-ordinate their post !

Bob

e

Exactly the same for me :-)

More thanks to Derek, I have received a letter confirming new tax class, a receipt for £0 confirming my car is taxed until next March, V5C to follow, interestingly there is no mention of the £126 I paid to tax it 2 weeks ago :ph34r: maybe it will come back with the V5C.

The main thing is its now free to tax for the next 40 years

Result :rolleyes:

Huge thanks Derek

Just returned from Devon to find a cheque from Swansea for £95 so me a happy bunny.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

An interesting topic, my TR6 was first registered on 15/09/75 but has Chassis Number of CR64280 which implies it was built in 1974, does anyone have access to the guide that can tell the exact build date please? Thanks.

Hi All,

An update, after getting a copy of the relevant glasses guide page for my vehicle to confirm it was built in 1974 I went to my local post office who told me I would need to send all the information off to the DVLA to change the status to historic vehicle. I did this about six weeks ago and have just received a reply stating that in addition to the glasses guide page I supplied they also require a covering letter from an enthusiast/owners club confirming the glasses guide status!

My questions are;

1). Has anyone else been asked for such a letter during this process?

2). As a bona-fide member of TR-Register is there someone that could provide this letter officially?

Edited by Flying_Demon

I supplied the glasses guide information and a letter from Heritage stating that my car was manufactured on a certain date, this was not a certificate just an email.

No further correspondence was needed and the resultant extremely fast.